'88 kawasaki 300

borz80

Seaman Apprentice
I just bought this ski that had been sitting for about 2 years for 50 bucks. After getting it home i got all the old gas out of it and did a compression test. The compression was 30 at first. I dumped some WD40 in the cylinder and it went up to 50. The engine turns over real well and smooth from what I can tell. Does this most likely just need new rings? How should I got about tearin the engine apart? And was 50 bucks too much or did i get boned?

jetmatejon

Recruit
Re: '88 kawasaki 300

The compression should be closer to 100-135, anything below 90 is in need of a rebuild, not easy if you don't have the right stuff. But for 50bucks you may want to consider having it done by a pro.
Good Luck

fordworker

Seaman Apprentice
Re: '88 kawasaki 300

or if you are mechanical you could pull the cylinders off., if not too bad, run a hone through it and install new rings. you are only out the cost of rings and gaskets if it doesn't work out. but you can get a decent used ski in running shape for 400-600 bucks a pro rebuild will be more than that. all depends on how you look at it. I buy cheap skis, ride them til they die, then part them out. usually for more than I paid for the whole ski.