88 Erude exhaust cover warped?

kman61

Cadet
I have a 1996 88 spl (flatback) that I am hopefully going to rebuild for various reasons. One issue I have is not being able to pinpoint the source of water found in the port side cylinders. Cylinder head & head seem flat with in .004" spec. Inner exhaust cover shows over .004" around the center-line water channel but I can't find a serviceability check for flatness on this component. Does anyone have experience with water leaking into exhaust chamber / cylinders due to flatness issues with this component? I replaced both cover gaskets back in the summer but it did not correct the problem. FYI...heads look steamed cleaned, piston domes do not.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 88 Erude exhaust cover warped?

If you've got concerns about the innner cover, replace it. The original is NLA (322689.) You surely can fine a good used one around, there were thousands of these made, they were pretty much the same for many, many years.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

It is also possible that your current cover has casting porosity. You can check for leaks in the inner cover by placing it on a flat surface and dripping water onto the top. Check for leaks. Also, hold a light behind it in a dark room and check for visual signs of porosity. That cover can be aluminum welded. May not be worth it if it's too far out of flatness.

kman61

Cadet

Thanks for the input. I believe I'll be looking for a replacement as my last check shows she's warped over .010".