88 DT150 Piston broken

hankll

Petty Officer 1st Class
Really need some opinions of what best do to do. Rodbolt speak up.

History: Had 87 DT150 SS, Burned piston, broke rod on #1 cyl
Bought 88 DT150, bad lower unit.
Switched lower units, switched motors
87 had oil injection, 88 had oil injection removed
Premixed gas in on board gas tank
(now realize) forgot to clear pick up tube and gas line leading
to splash well/primer bulb hose
Started 88 on (now realize) raw gas
Motor seized after about 5 min., (realized had a problem)
Sprayed penetrating oil in each cyl, spark plugs oily, no trash
spun over engine without spark plugs
Re installed spark plugs (stupidly) restarted motor
Heard noises, shut down, checked spark plugs
Had trash around cone of #6 spark plug.
Did a compression check with finger over Spark holes
Had no compression on #6, all others, O.K.
Pulled head - found this - and More

What can a shade tree mechanic with a little experience working on motors do with this. I checked bores, thinking to change jugs and pistons from 87 but 87 has been bored .015 over. Found the hole in intake side of crankcase on the 88 but have 87 crankcase that appears to be good. I could just buy a new piston/ring set for that cyl in the original size, or change the whole jug with pistons from the 87. Rod appears to be good, don't know condition of crank journals. All cylinders appear to be in o.k. shape, no scoring. Whatcha think?

Attachments

• 88 SUZUKI HEAD PISTON DAMAGE 011.jpg
    88 SUZUKI HEAD PISTON DAMAGE 011.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 88 SUZUKI HEAD PISTON DAMAGE 015.jpg
    88 SUZUKI HEAD PISTON DAMAGE 015.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 88 SUZUKI HEAD PISTON DAMAGE 012.jpg
    88 SUZUKI HEAD PISTON DAMAGE 012.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 88 SUZUKI HEAD PISTON DAMAGE 014.jpg
    88 SUZUKI HEAD PISTON DAMAGE 014.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 88 SUZUKI HEAD PISTON DAMAGE 013.jpg
    88 SUZUKI HEAD PISTON DAMAGE 013.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 0

johndezman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 88 DT150 Piston broken

rodbolt in the past has mentioned someone that he's delt with that may be able to replace broken rod

hankll

Petty Officer 1st Class

Rodbolt has way more experience than I'll ever have. The rod appears to be ok, but to be safe I felt like I should replace whole rod,writ pin, and piston..

As to Suzuki, the jugs unbolt from the main crankcase, and removing carbs I am supposing the rods can then be unbolted. I have no actual experience with boat motor mechanics, just a fair amount of lawnmower rebuilding experience. Should be basic, but not to the degree boat motor tolerance might be since we are talking about 6 cyl vs. 1 or 2 cyl with cam shaft and 4 cycle vs. 2 cycle.... but I'm learning as I go along. Seems like with a stupid mistake like I did this time it was like taking 1 step forward on that learning curve and a major, huge falling step backwards. This is gonna hurt a lot on the wallet. Not to mention all the fishing I'm missing. Crappie have already peaked in our area.

yoyo133

Cadet

There are alot of really good used big 2-strokes on the market at depressed prices due to the price of gas (it's going back up..count on it). Buy one , go fishing, have fun. Quit trying to be the mechanic you say you are not.."do it yourself..costs more money". If you really want the Suzuki..take it to a pro.