'88 15hp won't start...

mamm7215

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I bought this last season and the PO had just had it serviced and it ran fine. I noticed at the end of last season it was harder to start but eventually would and run ok after I got it going. I also noticed the fuel pump was cracked around the inlet hose attachments so I got a new pump and put it on yesterday. Of course same issue. Now it won't start by pulling at all. If I put premix fuel right into the cylinders, put spark plugs back in, it fires up right away and runs until the fuel is gone. I can even rev it up a bit and it seems like it's going to run normally but after a few secs it dies. The new fuel pump also pumps fine when running. So I have spark and fuel, but it sounds like it's not getting throught the carb at all. I was going to pull the carb off but man it's tight in there. There's obviously no way to get the carb off without taking a bunch of other things off. I don't have an OEM manual for this (I do for my '81 90). I'm sure a carb kit will be an easy affair but what do I have to do to get this carb off?

mamm7215

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: '88 15hp won't start...

I wonder how different a 78 would be from an 88...

mamm7215

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah, pretty much what I've come up with.

Whoopbass

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If I remember right you have to loosen the starter rope recoil assembly and adjust it out of the way so you can get to the nut on the right side of the carb. The air box assembly is the only other thing in the way and its a piece of cake to remove.

mamm7215

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So I got the carb taken off, piece of cake, thanks for all the replies here helping. I have a couple of issues/questions now. I think I found why it wouldn't start. The needle seat clamp was gone so the needle seat was stuck in the closed postition. Couldn't even find the clamp. The other issue is there's 2 holes on the top plastic piece that don't have screws in them even though they're threaded through the metal carb body. You can see which ones I mean in the pics. They're circled yellow. Are they supposed to be missing? There's also a hairline crack in the top plastic molding as well. It doesn't seem to go all the way through the plastic though.

Attachments

• carb1.jpg
    carb1.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 0
  • carb.jpg
    carb.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 0

dew2

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I would think screws should go in those two holes. I have the exact same motor and I'll be working on motors tomorrow,I'll look at mine and post.

mamm7215

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just looked at a couple on E-bay and they both DON'T have screws in those holes so I guess it's ok...

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I just looked on the BRP parts site and couldn't find any screws for those holes either.

mamm7215

Petty Officer 2nd Class

One more question...how does the choke cam lever attach to the choke knob? I assume when it's all back together and you slide the choke knob back it, the top of the pointy cam lobe fits into the knob so when you pull it, the choke butterfly opens.
tia.

raczekp1

Lieutenant

hi.
this 2 holes are made for chocke holding plate and airslincer.
put chocke knob, holding plate, lower part of airsilincer and 2 bolts in this holes-in this way it should be assembled

raczekp1

Lieutenant

hi.once again.
take screwdriver and unscrew screw no 4
when you mount asembled carb to engin block, when done this
take part no.1 put in no 2 and 3(part no 1 is caled linkage)
take screwdriver and screw part no 4 in carb body

Attachments

• carb1.jpg
    carb1.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 0