870 keeps jamming

Bass-A-Holic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just got a new remington 870 exp. for X-mas, when i got it i took it apart, cleaned, and oiled it like i would with any of my new guns. it took it out to shoot clays today and the thing keeps jamming on me. what happens is that after i shoot the bolt comes back about 1/8th of an inch and then stops. to get it unjammed i have to push push the pump forward and then i can normally pull it back fine. i cant figure out what is wrong?? the only thing i can think of is that i was using cheap "estate" shells that i use for targets.

Bass-A-Holic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 870 keeps jamming

I forgot to say that when i took it apart i only took the bolt out and not all that other stuff so i dont think i could have messed anything up.

Major Woods

Petty Officer 1st Class

Been a lot of coplaints about the 870's and jamms.

When I had my gun shop I stopped carrying them for 11 months when 8 of the 9 I sold came back to me jamming or plain old not functioning right.
The jamm issues do still come in spurts now and then. After examing the guns I found burrs on the machined internal pieces on some. I fixed them on my dime at the store as my customers wanted them in working order pronto.

870's can be picky about the shells they shoot, try a Rem or Winchester shell.

I suggest getting a Nova pump, simply a better made gun at approx the same price.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

major woods is spot on.

Also, there is actually a big difference between the Wingmasters and the Express.. seems they are a little more detailed concerning the milling and with the higher grade model. I haven't inspected any for few years but it was true in the past.

I've got an old Wingmaster Mag (3") that won't cycle Remington 3" loads.. go figure. The crimps expand too much and get hung-up on ejection.

Quick fix: When shooting 3" manufactured loads - Federal or Winchester only for off the shelf rounds. Never had a problem with 'em in it. Federal or BPI's Multi-Hull for reloads

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Another thought occured to me.

Are you sure you're not "short cycling" the action?

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. That's the exact symptom of not closing the bolt fully before firing on ANY pump shotgun...