'87 Force 125HP ignition problem

Nordin

Commander
The Force power Ohms reading is mentioned in Outboardignitiondotcom and CDI Electronics troubleshooting charts.
OEM Ohms reading for the stator windings 680-900 Ohm.
CDI Ohms reading for the stator windings 250-350 Ohm.
Have in mind when you check the resistance (Ohm) with a VOM or multimeter the VOM or multimeter use the power supply for it to read the the resistance and it is about 4,5-9 Volts depending on brand.
When the flywheel is turning and creating voltage and current to charge the capacitors in the CDI boxes the voltage is way more than the 4,5-9 Volts the power supply in the VOM put into the windings.
Higher voltage and current load the insulation and the winding in the stator.
Leakage in the windings will appear without doubt if the insulation is bad.
That is why the DVA output voltage from the stator is a more sufficient test.

The Force power

Commander
Was there any burn or overheating marks on the old stator that had zero output readings? Anyways, since you already moved on I guess you can use this as a training aid or even a spare if repaired.
So now I have 3 none working Stators;
- two stators that don't have reading on one set of the wires
- one stator that the readings are good but no fire on 3&4
I guess with the last one I can't do anything, however the first two I'm planning to strip the wires back as close as possible to the whining and take readings to see is its the wires are broken

Jiggz

Captain
So now I have 3 none working Stators;
- two stators that don't have reading on one set of the wires
- one stator that the readings are good but no fire on 3&4
I guess with the last one I can't do anything, however the first two I'm planning to strip the wires back as close as possible to the whining and take readings to see is its the wires are broken
Just to make sure we are actually on the same page, can you post a pic or video showing the VOM reading (ohms reading) and which pair of wires you are taking the readings from. This reading is on an uninstalled or dismounted stator.
Although stator do break, they seldom do. And if they do most of the cause is burnt winding caused by the alternator windings (yellow wires) due to a shorted rectifier or mis-wired rectifier. The high and low charge coils that powers the CD boxes usually are made to last forever except when moisture gets into the core laminate and rust eats out the magnetic winding insulation causing shorts. And the other is broken connections just before the magnetic windings.

The Force power

Commander
Which pair of wires you are taking the readings from.
Good morning Jiggz,

The reading(s) are from one set blue to yellow I checked with a good working one counted the coil-windings (5) each they're (more or less) between the one blue & yellow
This reading is on an uninstalled or dismounted stator
un-installed / Bench test
And the other is broken connections just before the magnetic windings.
The two Stators that gave me a reading from one set, I stripped the wiring back as far possible to check if a broken wire caused; the no readings
All readings are taken with a Fluke meter & an El-cheapo meter both are reading the same

Jiggz

Captain
Really very surprising with so many bad stators back to back. And this is so baffling especially without any signs of overheating or rusting or broken wires. But you are correct with your readings.

The Force power

Commander
Really very surprising with so many bad stators back to back. And this is so baffling especially without any signs of overheating or rusting or broken wires. But you are correct with your readings.
That leaves me with one; tested good but no voltage output

Jiggz

Captain
That leaves me with one; tested good but no voltage output
How did you test stator voltage output? With DVA adapter? Got a pic of the DVA adapter? Was the VOM meter on DC voltage reading with the DVA connected? Have you tested the DVA making sure it actually works?

The Force power

Commander
How did you test stator voltage output? With DVA adapter? Got a pic of the DVA adapter? Was the VOM meter on DC voltage reading with the DVA connected? Have you tested the DVA making sure it actually works?
(1) voltage-test with DVA & meter set to DC
(2) I'll take a picture & no I never used since I purchased