87' Evenrude 225 dies sometimes on acceleration

crowebar

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 87' 225 evenrude VRO and it has been running great until recently. The last few times out it will die sometimes on acceleration. It will either accelerate normally or just die when I hit the throttle. It seems like it has been getting worse lately. If I hit the choke a few times it will help. Once the motor gets going it seems to run perfectly. Just as fast as every and will cruise all day. My gut feeling is it is starving for fuel sometimes, that is what it feels like.

I do have a manual. I put a new water pump on this year (just to play it safe) but haven't done much else to the motor other then a new power pack on one side about three years ago and new plugs about the same time.

Motor is on a 1988 Ski Centurion Barefoot ski boat. Prop is a 22" Raker.

I've done a ton of searches and found all kinds of stuff like loose magnets on the flywheel, dirty carbs, bad primer bulb, etc. I'm pretty mechanical but would love to be pointed in the right direction.

crowebar

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 87' Evenrude 225 dies sometimes on acceleration

I have a little more information.
I ran the boat tonight and it only seems to stall after I've been idling for a few min. If I run hard, then slow to a stop and then run hard again it is perfect. But if I troll around for a few min. (like if I'm waiting for a wake boarder to put the board back on after a crash) then hit it when the person is ready to go she dies. If I am thinking ahead and hit the choke a few times and then hit it it usually works.

Thanks,
DC

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like some carb problems and a good sync and link.

crowebar

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for your reply, I've read many of your replies to other posts and you really know your stuff!

I just read up on Linkage and synchronation in the manual, I think I can handle it.

Do you think a link and sync alone or should I dissasemble and clean the carbs too or check the VRO and fuel pump?
Thanks for reply
DC

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Do the sync and link first. Then maybe the carbs. Do one thing at a time so you'll know what the problem was.

crowebar

Seaman Apprentice

You are totally correct, it's just hard not to just do it all! I'll do the link and sync and try it at the lake again this weekend.
Thanks for talking a little sense back into my plan!
DC