'87 DT 150 SS burned piston

hankll

Petty Officer 1st Class
I know its bad but what kind of money am I looking at, to get this motor back up and running? Ballpark, and more importantly is it worth it in your humble opinion. I believe the cylinder is shot. The rod broke off just below the wrist pin, and I found a piece of the cylinder sleeve lodged in the hole of the piston. Couldn't turn the crank, so the remains of the rod are jamming the works. I'll try later to pull the piston out and to also back up the crank at the flywheel, so I can get a look at the port area and the whole cylinder wall.

Attachments

• hole in piston (1).jpg
    hole in piston (1).jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 0

James R

Commander
Re: '87 DT 150 SS burned piston

The most important parts of this motor are severely damaged. You will need to ascertain what caused the failure and that in its self will be an issue. I have rebuilt several Suzuki's and frankly I would part the motor out or get a similar motor and use this one for spares.

hankll

Petty Officer 1st Class

Kinda agree, I think I may have had a jet partially clogging on that cyl, other cylinders were looking ok on that bank without any heavy carbon buildup. The other port bank spark plugs are ok, nothing to indicate either low oil or carbon buildup problems. But even if I could rebuild it, and at this point, I haven't been able to see cylinder and how scored or beat up by the rod it may be, I'm guessing a minimum of $1000 for just replacing that piston after machine shop work. A replacement powerhead is $2400 if not more. So replacing motor with another seems likely to be course I'll take and parting out the motor will be best choice.

johndezman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Was there an oil mist over the block? Was it the top cylinder (#1)

The bad news -
I haven't been able to find anyone (like the jetski crowd) that can rebuild/replace a broken rod. So if you elect to rebuild, you need to find a complete rotating assembly.

Other considerations -

check the case assembly the broken rod may have cracked the case (i've had 2 do this) the case is machined as an assembly, so you need a new one or the old one welded up air tight.

the reason i asked about the oil mist, is that my two failures were the result of the top seal began leaking, and this upset the air / fuel mix (and oiling) to that top cylinder i asked you about.

the individual cylinders are pretty well isolated from each other, essentially this is 6 one cylinder engines connected to a common crankshaft.

the bearings and seals are pretty pricey figure over $1000 for bearings and seals.

there's probably more, just having a senior moment right now....

good luck

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

on that engine the cyl bank is removable for repair,resleeving or replacement without breaking open the crankcase.
I would reccommend breaking the crankcase open and sending the crank out for inspection.
I havent used them for a bit but Ackerman marine in wilmington NC is who rebuilt all my built up cranks.

hankll

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey thanks for the replies.... I've yet to get a chance to get started on this situation. I talked with my local mechanic (the one that has done any of the work I couldn't) He says to take off the power head and it'll save me money on the labor. And he'll take a look at the damage. He indicated (if no major damage) I'd be able to keep repairs to less than $1000, even possibly as low as $600, which was re-ring all 6 cyl while honing the good cyl's, and look at the #1 cyl condition and determine whether to re-sleeve, or bore over size. I think he mention that a Suzuki could over size as much as .0060 and I though that was a bit much. WITH ALL THAT SAID.........

I've located an '88 DT 150 that lost the prop and prop shaft while motoring on the Tombigbee waterway (He thinks the bearing seized) So for the money, $500, possibly less, I thought to just replace my lower unit and swap motors...
I believe they are compatible with each other. The only loss I'd have, is his motor isn't a SS, but he said it ran good. I'm trying to do this myself. Any advice about changing out lower unit, would be appreciated. Gaskets, impellar, and any other items I need to think of. Been studying the manual in prep for when I go get it, to be prepared. Need a motor lift(rental), but think this is the way to go....whatchya'll think?

hankll

Petty Officer 1st Class

Can't anybody offer an opinion? I'd like to get an idea about whether this is a good idea before I commit to the other motor.....and using my lower unit.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

in 87 I was playing on gray boats for the USN.
best I recall the 150 SS was a dual plug per cyl bass boat motor and the 150 was not.
dunno if there was a gear ratio change between the two engines.

hankll

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Rodbolt, I'll call Brown's Point Marine and see if they know. That's something I hadn't thought of as a possible problem. And yes you are correct, 2 spark plugs per cyl on my SS and 1 per on the 150. So my parts are limited to starter, carbs, etc., for this motor I'm hoping to get. Sure hope it's not a problem w/ the gear ratio, tho, it sure would cheaply solve my problem. And I could do the work myself. Course, if he had the prop shaft and the prop, it would be helpful, but then he might not have put it up for sale, had he had them still. He said they are on the bottom of the Tombigbee Waterway.

hankll

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got the 88 DT 150 for $590, got to get it here to start transfer off the boat and changing out lower unit. talked to the owner, and got a background on the motor I'm getting. Seems to be in good condition, mechanically. He said it starts good. For him, bad luck, sounds like he seized his prop shaft bearing or something along those lines. He said the lower unit case looked wallowed out. So I'm guessing, he just had his prop and shaft just fall out of it. Hopefully I'll be back on the water and going again. Plan on adding the fuel/water filter before going out again. And changing out gas in my tank.