87 225 hp power pack problems?? J225TXCUB

mokaction

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Motor runs out of the water great, with attached water supply, once I get it in the water it is very hard to start, also stalls out if I try to throttle up. Also noticed that the Tach is no longer working.

By passed VRO, and running 50/1. motor has been siting for 3 years. Also just rebuild carbs yesterday. All 6 carbs redone and new fuel filter and fresh fuel. Need plugs and wires coils all with in spec.

Thanks for you help in advance..

Larry

D

DJ

Re: 87 225 hp power pack problems?? J225TXCUB

The loss of the tach. points possibly to the stator.

Do you have solid spark on all six?

If you need plugs, use ONLY the correct Champions.

mokaction

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry, misstake, put in new plugs and wires. Coils are all tested with in spec

JUSTINTIME

Captain

sounds like u need to sync and link it

MarkV_Deep6

Petty Officer 1st Class

Without the tach it's a little difficult to say exactly what the problem is. An erratic tach would be a definite indication of a stator issue. If you can, look under the flywheel; see if the magnets are still attached and not slid around. Also look for leaking goop from the stator.

You also did not say if you had checked the compression, are you sure all is ok here.

If you just recently bypassed the VRO / OMC system, did you ensure the oil supply was plugged to prevent air entering the system?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

after doing the carbs did you set the idle speed, while running on muffs? if so it is wrong. it has to idle faster on muffs, because when in the water there is back pressure on the exhaust. this will cause hard starting in the water and cause it to stall when put in gear. link and sinc is always good after doing thecarbs, sets the timing and carbs together. and you should atleast yearly check the compression, let's you know if something is starting to fail so it can be corrected. also has the engine ever been decarbed with sea foam deep creep.

mokaction

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, I pulled up the oil supply hole when I took off the VRO.

Didn't sync the linkage, which I will do that today. I will also check under the Fly Wheel. No big deal on taking it off and doing a good check.

Also as for compression. I am getting 90's all around +/- 2. So over all great compression on a looper.

One last think, what can cause the tach to just stop working?

Also motor would run great out of the water. Then when in the water it is hard to start. Then will stall and can't start again. Once I get it home it starts right up..

Thanks again in advance.

Larry

MarkV_Deep6

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you are certain the tach was working, prior to the problem you are experiencing: then this would point to a stator \ rectifier problem. Have you checked the battery connections to ensure a good ground, tight connection? Hopefully you have not run the engine or switched the cables, with the battery unattached or loose.

When was the last time the engine ran well? Have you checked the wires for the tack to make sure they are correctly attached? I'm not a mech, I am going from what I have read on the board, and experience with my own issues.

Your last post said you pulled the oil supply, but did not say you plugged the supply inlet on the Pump. Leaving the outlet unplugged will allow air into the system just as it needs more fuel. Just like the symptoms you describe.

mokaction

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, I will also check all connections today regarding the tach. Also do some meter readings and let u guys know.

Also yes, I did plug up the VRO oil lead..

Larry

Walker

Captain

My bet would be the carbs aren't as clean as you think they are.

mokaction

Petty Officer 2nd Class

found a loose wire at the powerpacks, and got the tach working again. Also did a sync and link and is now idling at around 1200 rpm with hose attached. dues that look right??

Will try it in the water tomorrow. Will let you guys know how it turns out.

Thanks again,

Larry

mokaction

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ya, just to let you guys know. Linkage was way off. Really looks and not at proper marks. Re-ajusted and is idling now.

JUSTINTIME

Captain

mokaction said:
found a loose wire at the powerpacks, and got the tach working again. Also did a sync and link and is now idling at around 1200 rpm with hose attached. dues that look right??

Will try it in the water tomorrow. Will let you guys know how it turns out.

Thanks again,

Larry

sounds right out of water

GOOD JOB!

mokaction

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Got it in the water. And started to miss firing. I tired to take it out and motor stalled and would not start. Was luck to get towed back to the lanch ramp. Then started right up again.

Got it home and put a timing light on it. Then did a timing test on all plug wires. And light would flash very erratic. Looks like the power packs are shoot??

Larry

mokaction

Petty Officer 2nd Class

just follow up..

Well.

I rebuild all carbs, did linkage and sync. then replaced power packs, found out with my spark gap test that the stator was not providing enough power for the power pack. Also replaced ignition switch.

Should have new stators this weekend. Also replaced Shift switch since I had a chance to purchase a new switch.

Will keep you guys posted, for the next guy that has this problem.

Larry