86 XR2 150, quit running, stumped.

J Hartman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I had the XR2 on the water today for the first ride. She hesitated just a little on the initial plane, but after that all ran smooth. After about 15 minutes of riding the boat on a steady plane, I went back to the ramp and came off plane in the no wake zone. The engine died when the craft came to a hault. Upon attempting to restart, it would "pop" two times, and that is it. That is all I can get out of it on the pipe at home too. Any suggestions as to the cause of this? I just rebuilt the carbs and replaced the fuel lines. Fresh fuel in the tank and the fuel filter looked clean, I got her to run on the pipe at home from about 10-20 seconds, and she idled rough, then died again. Haven't been able to get to restart since.

Any ideas / suggestions?
If I can help by giving any more information i will do my best to give accurate descriptions.

I've spent the past two weeks rebuilding the carbs and getting the engine buttoned up. I can't figure out what it would be. just a little mad and bummed it won't fire up.

latin monkey

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 86 XR2 150, quit running, stumped.

did you adjust carb mixtures when you had it on the water?

J Hartman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

did you adjust carb mixtures when you had it on the water?

No, I didn't mess with anything else on the carbs other than rebuilding them. The fuel bulb is tight when I pump it, so I know i'm getting fuel. I'm wondering if I flooded the thing?:confused:

j_martin

Admiral

Start by running a compression test to see if there's internal damage.

If that's good, then check spark.

If that's good, then figure out what you did to the fuel system.:D

Sorry, Crust alarm
John

J Hartman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Start by running a compression test to see if there's internal damage.

If that's good, then check spark.

If that's good, then figure out what you did to the fuel system.:D

Sorry, Crust alarm
John

T-storms today. hopefully they let up this afternoon so I can check this stuff. I am sure it's electrical just because that would be the most expensive. :eek:

J Hartman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Got the compression checked, Looking good in that dept. 118-121 all the way around.

J Hartman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

how much spark jump should I have on the merc? Is it similar to my OMC? 7/16ths jump?

j_martin

Admiral

You realize, of course, where this is heading. :eek:

J Hartman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Another thing I noticed is the engine was running too warm. Replacing thermostats also. Maybe that caused the problem?

j_martin

Admiral

You realize, of course, where this is heading. :eek:

Well, when you walk up to a running machine, do something to it, and it now does not run, it's what you did to it. :D

I used to train field engineers. It took a couple of months to bring them up to speed technically, and it seemed like a lifetime to teach the one line fact above.

J Hartman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well, when you walk up to a running machine, do something to it, and it now does not run, it's what you did to it. :D

I used to train field engineers. It took a couple of months to bring them up to speed technically, and it seemed like a lifetime to teach the one line fact above.

Well, it just died on me. Was running great on the pipe.

latin monkey

Petty Officer 1st Class

are you getting any water on the plugs? have you checked for spark?

latin monkey

Petty Officer 1st Class

you said you were getting it "buttoned up", what all did you do to it? did you have the powerhead off? need more info on the work you did to it before you tried to run it

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You confirmed that the compressin is good but you have not yet mentioned the spark, as previously suggested to you. Before you do anything else on the motor or consider other causes, I also suggest that you check the spark before spending a lot of time on other possible causes.

J Hartman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You confirmed that the compressin is good but you have not yet mentioned the spark, as previously suggested to you. Before you do anything else on the motor or consider other causes, I also suggest that you check the spark before spending a lot of time on other possible causes.

NO spark on 1, 3, or 5. What do I do next?

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That is a common symptom and there is a methodical way to figure out the specific cause. The Mercury OEM shop manual for you motor would contain the best step-by-step guide. The below linked troubleshoot guide may also help (see item 8 on the linked guide as quoted further below).

http://dolphinmarineservice.homestead.com/Ign5.html

Check DVA voltage of the stator, checking from each red and blue wire to engine ground. The readings should be approximately 180 volts or more on the blue wires and 30 or more on the red wires. If a DVA meter is not available, swap both sets of the stator wires between the packs. If the problem moves, replace the stator. If the problem stays on the same bank, swap physical location and all connections of the two packs. If the problem stays with one pack, replace the pack.

J Hartman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you for that link. I'll look over it and see hat I can come up with