86 Mercruiser 350 Tilt and trim wires 2 wires coming from stern

No show

Seaman
I started re doing the motor about a month ago i labeled everything there's 2 wire that come through the back of the hull same length black the label is very worn out looks like it says goes by fuel water seperator but im not sure. can anyone tell me where the 2 wires go ? it looks like a regular household wire but splits into 2 wires towards the ends? I wonder if I can get anwser without a link to a manual that I cant download, Clymer Manual is not to clear
Also I'm wondering how water could of got in the oil when I used tarps to keep rain out and tried hard to keep rain water out there was at least a gallon of water maybe I shouldn;t have bothered what would I have found 2 gallons? I drained everything hasn't been ran yet my fingers are crossed this job has been a nightmare from day one All this work, I'm starting to think this boat will never see the water. The motor I bought was supposed to be your tin and lite it up. After finding bent pushrod stuck valve. Welcome to my nightmare

ThomasHill

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 86 Mercruiser 350 Tilt and trim wires 2 wires coming from stern

If the wires are coming through the strendrive they are your trim limit and trim sender units. Those are the 3 inch circular things on each side of the housing. One limits how high the stern drive will go just using the up button. The other allows the gauge to move with the sterndrive.
Jack

No show

Seaman

If the wires are coming through the strendrive they are your trim limit and trim sender units. Those are the 3 inch circular things on each side of the housing. One limits how high the stern drive will go just using the up button. The other allows the gauge to move with the sterndrive.
Jack

Where do they connect to? somewhere by fuel water seperator????
Are alternator wires correct or do they get reversed??
thanks

Shrub88

Seaman Apprentice

I've got an 85 Mercruiser 260 and mine attach to the electrical part by the fuel/water seperator (the thing with the circuit breaker rest button). Mine had quick wire disconnects to plug them back in correctly. Do you have the plugs?

ThomasHill

Seaman Apprentice

Depending on your trim setup the limit goes to the purple and blue wires on your trim pump. There should be connectors they plug into. The sender has one wire that goes to ground and the other goes to the "S" terminal on your trim/tilt gauge. Thats usually a purple/white wire.

No show

Seaman

Depending on your trim setup the limit goes to the purple and blue wires on your trim pump. There should be connectors they plug into. The sender has one wire that goes to ground and the other goes to the "S" terminal on your trim/tilt gauge. Thats usually a purple/white wire.

I never disconNected off the trim pump only the two wires with loops that went to the engine by the FUEL WATER SEPERATORRRR
TANKS:eek:

No show

Seaman

I've got an 85 Mercruiser 260 and mine attach to the electrical part by the fuel/water separator (the thing with the circuit breaker rest button). Mine had quick wire disconnects to plug them back in correctly. Do you have the plugs?
I don't believe so just 2 loop ends to go on which terminal?/?:rolleyes:

No show

Seaman

I don't believe so just 2 loop ends to go on which terminal?/?:rolleyes:
I'm not to good at figuring out the photos either as well , I gonna get dissed by Don S

Attachments

• wireing 006.jpg
    wireing 006.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 0

No show

Seaman

I have a picture of where I'm trying to figure where to attach these to the fuel water Sep but says exceeds file type?
wireing009.jpg

wireing007.jpg

No show

Seaman

I reversed the pictures the one on top I wanted to know if alternator is wired correctly but now I see it's pretty blurry
the second fuel water sep where do the avove 2 wires attach to?
thanks sorry I screwed this up

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

In this pic,

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 0

No show

Seaman

Finally!!!! thank you Someone understands me! Now which one does the one with the purple end go to and its only safe to assume the black goes on the other , Ahhhh what a relief!!!!! Now just to sort out the alt And starter then then outdrive fire it up and cross fingers !!!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

dosent matter , the sender is a variable resistor.

No show

Seaman

I've got an 85 Mercruiser 260 and mine attach to the electrical part by the fuel/water seperator (the thing with the circuit breaker rest button). Mine had quick wire disconnects to plug them back in correctly. Do you have the plugs?
Do you have a picture where yours hooks up?
tanks