86 merc 175 issues

jdp8488

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I bought a motor yesterday and the guy I bought it from fired it up no problem, runs great, 130lb comp in all cylinders. I got it home and tried to start it on the stand, didnt have the right fuel connector, it fired up and sputtered and cleared all the fuel out of the lines. Today I went and bought the right connector, and I cant get it to start for nothing. I thought it might have been flooded, took the plugs out and cleared out the cylinders. Still wouldnt start.. It seems to be getting plenty of fuel, there was fuel in the carb cover like it was maybe getting too much. What could it be? I still cant get it to start.. This is my first merc.. All the johnson ive owned have been easy going.

jdp8488

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 86 merc 175 issues

Whats the kill lanyard? The switch on the controls is in run position. I cleaned all the plugs, and still will not start. Is there something on the motor that I should look for?

jdp8488

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 86 merc 175 issues

I hooked the power up to the wrong bolt when I first hooked it up. In the pic, the yellow arrow is where I first hooked up power on that little solenoid, the started spun over the second I touched the negative to the battery. I then called the guy who sold it to me and said I needed to hook it up to the bolt right beside it on the same solenoid. It fired up for a second, but now I am getting no fire to any plugs I do not think. Also wondered what the pink wire was for, it isnt hooked up. May be my problem?? Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• merc175.jpg
    merc175.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 0