86 Johnson 50 hp stalls at low throttle

Jfj1972

Cadet
Hey all, i have a 1986 johnson 50hp outboard that stalls when trying to take off in gear, runs perfect past half throttle and up. i have checked compression 135 on both cylinders, spark jumps 7/16 gap, checked fuel pump diaphram and rebuilt carbs. If i catch it just right before it dies i can bump key in real quick and it will pick up and stay running. Also when running on muffs when it tries to die i can squirt premix into bottom carb and keep it running. I have checked the carbs multiple times as it seems the problem is in bottom carb but can't find anything. Any ideas?

juno pierrat

Petty Officer 1st Class
try turning the idle screw in 1/2 to 1 turn, have you set the floats in carb?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Juno------The parts book does not show a mixture screw on an 86 model.

Jfj1972

Cadet
I set floats in carbs when rebuilt and have checked them again twice. It almost seems like a low speed miss but comes out of it if you can get throttle opened up quick enough.

juno pierrat

Petty Officer 1st Class
not mix, idle speed adjustment, in the Cylinder & crankcase parts breakdown, part 51 SCREW, IDLE ADJUSTMENT, at idle should rest on #59 STOP, IDLE ADJUSTMENT
don,t adjust the spark advance screw the one that has a locking nut, just forward of idle adj.

Last edited:

ct1762@gmail.com

Senior Chief Petty Officer
if its stalling, it is indeed most likely the idle stop screw not adjusted for proper rpm in forward gear. I find 700 rpm in forward gear on the water is ideal. stops low speed stalling issues, but still easy on gearcase.