86 johnson 140 issue

mrnmrskyle

Seaman
Re: 86 johnson 140 issue

Yeah, going to check out the timing advance pArts... I can move it with my finger but has no spring to it, also the screw on end of it is out like an inch and half... So going to check that out and see what I can do.... The carb butterflies do open All the way and the idle and max stopper on engine are hitting in either direction.

mrnmrskyle

Seaman

I could tell it should move more since it had a stopper that had left a mark but wasn't getting near it noe

mrnmrskyle

Seaman

okay, so... i have been reading the manual... and the pictures are kind of a pain... so the 86 model has the long rod that hooks to the throttle linkage w/ what i believe is a spring loaded rod that hooks under the fly wheel to what i believe is the timing advance.... correct? well according to the manual the screw on the end of this is the idle screw... but i don't know...

so since i can't find a "description and operation" (GM gives this for every part on a vehicle.. makes for good reading lol)

is this rod infact what controls my timing advance? and what makes it move the timing adjustment under the flywheel (if i'm in the right spot) since the screw on the end says it is the idle adjustment screw and the rod seems to just be spring loaded in there... so at full throttle it should pull the advance to the stopper? and at idle it just be all the way in opposite direction?

mrnmrskyle

Seaman

okay, so i unhooked my rod that hooks to the timer base and the rod is springy, the base itself, not soo much... so was googling and sounds like there is a bearing in this base... could that be my issue? i'm assuming this base should move very easily, when right now it takes a good bit of effort to move it...

Rapio

Seaman

okay, so i unhooked my rod that hooks to the timer base and the rod is springy, the base itself, not soo much... so was googling and sounds like there is a bearing in this base... could that be my issue? i'm assuming this base should move very easily, when right now it takes a good bit of effort to move it...

The base should move easy. Mine was gooped up and very stiff. Also the covering on the wiring leading to my base was brittle and no longer flexible causing drag. You will have to take the flywheel off and clean the ring up. You may have to buy a wheel puller. Don't pull on anything but the holes provided for a wheel puller.

mrnmrskyle

Seaman

rapio, what was the symptoms when your boat did that?

i am going to pull the flywheel tonight (with the right tools... luckily being mechanic i have a large puller selection lol) going to clean it all up, check the condition of the stator and check out the timer base, clean it up really well (i'l assuming i will use the brake part cleaner we use from work... which is straight alchol) and then lube it up w/ some moly lube and 2 cycle engine oil around the retainer ring. hopefully this will get me set to go! she ran way too good for me to assume it was a bad engine... and from talking with the marine mechanics in town and thanks to the folks on this forum, and just general knowledge or what the timing advance does... i think this will be the key to get it just right! then it'll be a lake test this weekend... which i'll post results from and then off to the beach the next!

Rapio

Seaman

rapio, what was the symptoms when your boat did that?

i am going to pull the flywheel tonight (with the right tools... luckily being mechanic i have a large puller selection lol) going to clean it all up, check the condition of the stator and check out the timer base, clean it up really well (i'l assuming i will use the brake part cleaner we use from work... which is straight alchol) and then lube it up w/ some moly lube and 2 cycle engine oil around the retainer ring. hopefully this will get me set to go! she ran way too good for me to assume it was a bad engine... and from talking with the marine mechanics in town and thanks to the folks on this forum, and just general knowledge or what the timing advance does... i think this will be the key to get it just right! then it'll be a lake test this weekend... which i'll post results from and then off to the beach the next!

Slow and hesitant to get full power and eventually not getting there. Sometimes the power would come up gradually as the as the timing ring slowly moved forward with the spring action. Some backfiring and unburnt fuel.