86 bayliner warning buzzer??

Formula1974

Petty Officer 1st Class
86 bayliner 16 ft cuddy cabin 85 hp force. Out on the lake yesturday after maybe 3 hours we had been swimming and tubing on and off. I went to start the boat and a loud screaching sound came from the dash. It sounded like speaker interferance. My VHF is right under the dash and I thought at first it was that so I unpluged it and when I turned the key back on the noise was there. I looked behind the panel from inside the cuddy and there was a little horn looking thing with 2 wires attached to it, one goes to the key switch I dont know where the other goes. Its not the horn as its mounted on the side of the boat. Is there a warning buzzer on this old of a boat? anyone know what im talking about? I unhooked one of the wires to stop the noise and the boat still runs and acts normally. Thanks in advance.

D

DJ

Re: 86 bayliner warning buzzer??

Most likely, that buzzer is telling you that your engine is overheating.

gptx

Recruit

Check the fluid in your outdrive.

Formula1974

Petty Officer 1st Class

I ran the boat for maybe an hour before we pulled over to swim and we sat there swimming and having lunch for maybe an hour. As soon as I turned the key to on and before I cranked it the buzzer was on so I dont think it was over heating since it sat for so long and didnt come on while on the go.

gptx

Recruit

My Mariah has buzzers for all sorts of situations. Another possibility is the transmission fluid. I'd bet dollars to peanuts you have a fluid issue. You may have an oil alarm.? Anyway, my rec is that you or someone solve the problem before you end up with a much more serious and costly problem!

swist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The buzzer was a warning to not buy a Bilgeliner....

D

DJ

The buzzer is not for a transmission issue.<br /><br />I really think you need to verify that your engine is indeed NOT overheating. I don't want to be an alarmist (pun intended) but unplugging it could be disastrous.<br /><br />Some buzzewrs do sound off when there is a problem in the buzzer itself, or that circuit.