86 Alpha 1 out drive

grizzreaper

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello everyone I just put a new impeller kit on the outdrive. Getting ready to install bellows kit and gimbal bearing. My question here is there is the reverse/forward ( worm key) with a triangular head on it. Which way does that face when putting back together. Also I have 78 mercruiser outdrive. This one has pin on the drive shaft the 86 doesn't . The 78 also has a o ring on the shaft but the 86 did not. Any help would be great. I can't load any pics. Says file exceeds limit

Bondo

Staff member
My question here is there is the reverse/forward ( worm key) with a triangular head on it. Which way does that face when putting back together.

Ayuh,..... No idea what this is supposed to mean,..??.....

The MC-1s, 'n Alpha 1s will interchange with each other as whole drives, or as uppers, or lowers,....

The tension pins, 'n o-ring grooves were deleted over the years, but they'll still interchange with each other,.....

grizzreaper

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok there is forward/ reverse gear head on the bottom of out drive it's about 5/16 round. On the top of the out drive by water tube there is a round tube that fits over the gear head. On top of this round tube is triangle shape that I assume my shifter cable pushes back n forth. I am not sure what direction. That triangle points . I will try to take a picture .

grizzreaper

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok I am one of the kids that couldn't find big bird n the kids lol. I was wrong on my shape.

Attachments

• photo311573.jpg
    photo311573.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1

Bondo

Staff member
Ok I am one of the kids that couldn't find big bird n the kids lol. I was wrong on my shape.

Ayuh,..... To remove, or reinstall the drive, the drive, 'n the controller have to be in Forward,.....

That puts the shift foot(the oblong piece), 'n the shift shoe(the piece the shift foot slides into) in the straight fore, 'n aft position,.....
Any other position, 'n the drive will not go on,......
'n if removin' the drive, you'll bend the whole thing,...

The lower unit needs to have tension held against the prop shaft, to hold it in forward gear, otherwise it slips into neutral, 'n you'll never get the drive back on,....

grizzreaper

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks Bondo. I had to bungie the prop in place. Thank you for all your help