85HP Shifting Problem

Mark9740

Seaman
I took my '86 85HP out on the river this morning to adjust the idle mixture and idle speed, in the water, in gear, as the manual says. I figured I would take her out fishing first to warm up the engine and tie it up to the dock on the way in and do the tune-up. The problem today though is she rev'd up to about 1200 RPM's before the forward gear caught. Reverse is fine but forward rev's up and then it catches and before I know it, I'm doing a hole shot! I have noticed during the last 3 or 4 outings that shifting into forward has gotten progressively worse but it always goes into gear with just a few clicks. I figured the high idle of 1,000 RPM's was the culprit, hence today's tune-up trip. I have a feeling that the problem is in the control box but I'm looking for another opinion before going off in the wrong direction.

Thanks.

jason32038

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 85HP Shifting Problem

Sounds like your adjustment mechanism on the linkage is loose. It should be shifting earlier. Check to see if the 2 nuts have worked loose on the shift adjustment rod.

brdhntr

Seaman Apprentice

I had a similar problem. It turned out to be the seal on the lower shift rod where it goes into the gear case. It was swelled and preventing travel in the forward direction. It's only a $3 part, but you have to tear down the lower unit to get at it. Try unhooking the cable at the motor end and use the shift move the shift linkage at the motor by hand. This will determine if it is as control cable problem or something in the motor linkage.

Mark9740

Seaman

I was thinking about what I have done so far on it this and believe it or not...I think it just might be the transom saver. Follow me here. I have a manual tilt and my previous transome saver was too short for the truck I started towing the boat with. The skeg was touching the pavement in some high spots on the short 4 mile trip to the river. With the new, much longer transom saver, I have to lift the engine all the way up thus forcing the control cables into the splashwell. I went outside to look at them and they were slightly twisted. It looks like MAYBE the shift cable was outside of and hanging up a bit on the other cable. I switched (twisted) them back to where I think they were before. Hopefully, (fingers crossed) this is all it was. I checked the shift linkage under the carbs where the two nuts are and they were painted over at one point and it is obvious that they haven't be moved since. I won't be able to get it back into the water for quite some time due to my work schedule but I'll post an update on whether this works or not.

Thanks for the input.

Mark9740

Seaman

I won't have time to get my boat in the water this weekend, however, if I drop the LU into a barrel of water 18 inches deep and try shifting it, would that be the same as putting the boat into the water. I know this question sounds naive but I've heard varying opinions about working on a boat on the water vs. in the driveway.

Thanks.

foodfisher

Captain

You should be able to test shifting without starting the motor.

Mark9740

Seaman

Foodfisher,
I wish I knew how. When I run it on the muffs, it shifts fine. But in the water is another issue altogether. Like I said in my inital post, the rpm's jump up to 1200 before she jumps into gear and the nose comes out of the water. Am I missing something? How can I test it without running it?

Thanks for your feedback.

foodfisher

Captain

Put the shift lever in neutral and see if the prop. turns freely by hand. Yes? Good to go. Now put the shifter in forward. Locked up prop? Good. Now put the shifter back to neutral. Free? Good. Now put the shifter in reverse. Locked up? Good. Any variations from the above will need further investigations as to why. Mostly all adjustments. A manual is a great help. edit: What are your RPMs at idle, in gear?

Last edited:

Mark9740

Seaman

I tried that. Reverse is good. Neutral is good. When I shift into forward, the prop will lock up if I try to turn it clockwise but when turned counterclockwise, it slips. It's almost like something isn't catching. It this right?

foodfisher

Captain

We just went past what I know. Someone will help., I just know it.

Mark9740

Seaman

I managed to sneak an hour today to take it up to the river and my problem is the same. It wasn't the cables. I believe Brdhntr is correct. This weekend I will disconnect the cable and try to move the shifting mechanism by hand to see if it is binding up in the forward direction. I have only had the boat for two seasons now so this would be a good time to change my impeller too I guess. It just sounds a little intimidating at this point. I will keep you posted.