85hp Mercury Trim Pump Nightmare

Derekc294

Petty Officer 2nd Class
having the hardest time with the trim pump on my old 85hp Merc. Googled it and just cannot figure out a replacement. Went all last season raising and lowering it by hand. The pump was “rebuilt” supposedly by a marina in Michigan who claims they sent it out and it worked 3 times out and crapped out again. 450650A1 is the pump number. I’d buy a new one if I could find it and everywhere I call says it’s too old just replace it. Well sell me something and I will! No one can give me a straight answer. Any help is appreciated. Any direction is really appreciated I don’t think my back or shoulder can take another summer like this!

Derekc294

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Also should add I tried bypassing the switch so I know it’s not that. The pump shows it’s getting power when the switch is engaged. It’s just not doing anything.

Derekc294

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It looks similar but it’s not listing my current pump number in the description. I’ll call Monday to verify but thank you!!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
That part does not show a pump installed on the reservoir.----The listing is for a MOTOR.

merc850

Commander
If the motor is not operating but there's power, the brushes in the end cap might be worn out; I had that problem and found a replacement at a dealer. Doesn't cost anything to look.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
There used to be ARCO aftermarket replacements for your trim pump motor. They came as motor and top of reservoir assemblies. The problem was that two looked identical, but the motor armatures were different lengths. I would theefore recommend you take your old one and match it up.

I would take it to a electric motor shop (starter/generator shop), and see what they can do,

Derekc294

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok so I removed the pump finally. Havent had the time and now I'm not sure which direction to go. Is there a better system to use or do I just attempt another rebuild?

Derekc294

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When I look at all the trim pumps available none seem to have 4 hydraulic line ports. Does anyone have a recommendation of anywhere I can ship it to and have it looked at?

douglas1978

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I bought a replacement off of Ebay. Also since we have the four hose pumps we can use the trim pumps off the old inboard mercruiser .

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I think there is a plate on the bottom with the ports.-----You take it off your old unit and install on the new.----Might know of a NOS unit ---Motor / pump / reservoir.

Alumarine

Captain
As racerone said ,when I used a pump from my mercruiser on my merc 50 I had to take the plate off the old pump and put it on the mercruiser one.

Derekc294

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry guys I have no clue what I’m doing here. I mean I’ve seriously never had this kind of issue with a mechanical repair. Do you know of a shop or business I can consult? I’m just seriously beyond annoyed

merc850

Commander
Does the motor turn over? If so but the rams don't move then you should bleed the system; if not then check the brushes in the end cap; there's also a circuit breaker in the end cap that might be dirty - you can clean it with fine sandpaper
power-trim-bleedingsmall.jpg

racerone

Supreme Mariner
As I said I may know of a NOS unit.-----Older unit but never installed / used.----New motor / pump / reservoir.-----Last party that got one solved his issues !