85HP Force have cooling question

tmaxx26power

Cadet
First off Im new to boats so knowledge is very basic. I bought a 84 Bayliner with 85HP Force motor. My first run out on the lake if I let it idle any length of time or went slow speed to load on the trailer the temp alarm would go off. So I took it to the shop and they installed a new water pump kit and thermostat. I haven't taken it out yet but today I put the elephant ears on it, turned on the water and fired it up. Right away I checked if water was coming out the 2 little round ports of the back of the motor and there was nothing. I only let it run maybe 10 seconds at most and shut it off. Should water be coming out those ports right away or does the thermostat have to open first? I touched the head and it was barely warm to the touch. Thank you

tmaxx26power

Cadet
I did some searching and it seems the elephant ears are difficult to line up correctly with the water inlet ports. That very well could have been the issue because I wasn't happy with the fit and there seemed to be a lot of water coming out from around the rubber seal area when I turned the water on.

Jiggz

Captain
With the muffs you need to make sure the water pressure is not too much or the water will push out the muffs off. Second, the two holes on the motor leg will not shoot water when using muffs. These holes are exhaust relief when motor is idling in the water. The only time water will actually spit solid out of these holes is when idling in the water. With muffs, you should only see mist or a little bit of water.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
No Title

The older 85's had a pressure relief valve in the adaptor plate under the head.
The 2 holes could have water coming out of them (mine did)when at an idle on the hose.
The spring/ valve gets stuck and the water comes out the snout and the 2 holes.
Also if the holes have bugs making nests in them? they might not have water coming out.
It takes a few minutes maybe up to 10 before it gets hot enough to sound the alarm.

​In my toolbox I have a heat gun.$16 from Amazon.
​One of the better purchases.

One of my customers had an overheat situation.
I changed the pump and it was pumping real good.
Used the gun and the lower 2 cyl. were about 165d +
​The temp sensor is at the top of the motor and was cool.

​The heat gun showed the lower pistons way hot.
​This motor was on a pontoon in salt water and never flushed
See pics.

Attachments

• photo255667.jpg
    photo255667.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo255712.png
    photo255712.png
    103.1 KB · Views: 0

gregmsr

Petty Officer 1st Class
I suggest running the motor in a container large enough to drop the lower into with water level above the cavation plate. Works better than muffs.
And you can install a "tell tale" (search this on the forum). This really gives you visual proof the impeller is pumping sufficient.