85hp carb replacement

homebuilt

Cadet
I'm in the need to replace the top carburetor on my 85hp force (the one ear has a Crack around it). I'm told that it's an 84 model. There's a carb on ebay that says it came off from an 89. Will this carb work on my motor or did they change things up? Thanks

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
The 85 probably used 10 different carbs from year to year. It is always best to replace them as matched pairs. However if the sale carb has the same venturi and high speed jet it will work fine. Ask the seller these questions.

homebuilt

Cadet
thank for the reply. is there possibly a casting number/part number to make sure its the correct housing. I have no problem swapping innards over to a new housing. do you think a good welding shop could weld it back together?

UtahBoating

Petty Officer 2nd Class
thank for the reply. is there possibly a casting number/part number to make sure its the correct housing. I have no problem swapping innards over to a new housing. do you think a good welding shop could weld it back together?

Not sure if this helps but my 85 hp carbs has a number stamped on the top of the intake side. Maybe Google and eBay that number to see if anything shows up.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Measure the intake and switch the jets.
You can find sets of carbs.
E-bay has them.