85 HP Johnson Won't shift

ozzfreak

Cadet
I just acquired this boat, and I will admit, that I am completely braindead when it comes to boats, so bear with me. I try to shift and the lever doesn't even attempt to move. I disconnect the cables, and same thing. I am pretty sure it's something in the control box? I guess that is what it would be called. It is one that has a warm up lever if that helps anything. I tried moving the lever all the way in both directions, and it still won't shift, any ideas? Thanks.<br /><br />Andy

papasmurf

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 85 HP Johnson Won't shift

Does the control handle have a detent lever that you must pull up in order to shift? If you disconnect the cables (at the motor) and then using the shift handle do the cables move at the motor end?

ozzfreak

Cadet

yes, you have to pull up on that little lever for it to be able to shift, but it still doesn't move when i pull that. And yes, if i disconnect at the motor, it still doesn't work. I wonder if I disconnect the cables completely if it will work. maybe the cables are just froze. I will try that tomorrow.<br /><br />Andy

ozzfreak

Cadet

yeah, I tried to take the cables out and try again, still no luck with the shifting. Any ideas?

tdimichele

Cadet

I'm in a similar situation as I just got a "land boat" from my wife's uncle. It is a 73 Steury with a 77 Evinrude 85. Mine is having ignition issues,...and a missing key. <br /><br />I took the control box apart, to get at the ignition and neutral safety switches. Taking it apart required grinding of each bolt becuase the boat had seen alot of salt.<br /><br />In your position, I would attempt to take your box apart. On my boat, there were 4 bolts mounting the box. Had to be grinded. Once the box is off, all of the screws to dissassemble the box are visible. <br /><br />My only other thought is the trigger you pull to move the lever isn't engaging,...leaving the lever in the locked position.<br /><br />Is your motor running?

ozzfreak

Cadet

actually the trigger isn't in the engaged part of the shifting. if that makes sense. It's a little past in forward position. I have taken the box apart, but it looks ok to me, but still isn't shifting. I am at a lost as of what to do. Thanks anyway

tdimichele

Cadet

On the front of my control box i have a tension dial. Used to make it easier to move the lever, or harder...whatever your liking.<br /><br />Does you box have a tensioner dial? Is it wound real tight or froze up? <br /><br />You said you disconnected your cables, did you disconnect from the motor or from the control box?

ozzfreak

Cadet

yeah, it has a tension dial, but it's as loose as it goes, and still nothing. I took the cables out at the control box, still nothing. Also, the starter won't engage, which I think is possibly cuz the shifter is slightly in the forward position. Not much though. But probably enough to cause it not to start, if these had some sort of safety device on it. Thanks for the help.

tdimichele

Cadet

Inside the control box is the neutral safety switch, so it makes sense that it doesn't start. After you took the cables from the control box, did you try to manually shift at the motor with your hands. If you can do that, and you detached the control cables from the control box, and you still can't move the shifter then I think you've isolated the problem.