85 force will not pump water

my1stboat1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 85 force will not pump water

thanks franks everyones input has been greatly appreiciated ... I hope to put it back together tomorrow nite and see how it works out.. 1 last ? on my part... Is there a way to access the water intake on the lower unit to check for any possible clogs ... From the top of the lower unit appears clear, put water in the top it drains out of the bottom... If i remove the Propeller can i see inside the intake to check for any possible clogs or taking the prop off wont get me anywhere

jhaley59

Cadet

OK, my problem on a 1985 125 force is after running about 30 minutes, we idled down (twin 125's) and the buzzer went off on right unit. Let unit cool down, still would not start. I have no history on boat, previous owner bought it and never put it in water. The unit that over heated had new gaskets and impeller installed. (Ran fine on muffs, I just thought time to replace impeller). Stopped by dealer on way home to ask advise, he didn't look at boat and said it was a blown head gasket. Any Ideas before I start tearing into it in the morning.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

You can not see anything by removing the prop. The prop shaft rides in a bearing and seal in the "Spool." It is called that because it looks like a thread spool. If you can look in the side vents and see nothing, and if water runs out when poured from the top, then it is clear.

Jhaley: Just so you know---It is bad manners to hijack a thread. Please start one of your own. Please don't listen to dealers--they usually don't know their a** from a hole in the ground and will tell you anything just to get rid of you.

my1stboat1

Petty Officer 1st Class

dude im so glad you just mentions the spool thing... Cause i looked in the back of my prop and it looked like fishing line was in there maybe thats normal

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

If it looks like fishing line in back of the prop, it is! Behind the prop you should only see the thrust washer and one face of the spool. Remove the line as it can cut the seal and cause leaks.

my1stboat1

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks frank again.. AND EVERYONE ELSE for all of the quick replys and answers... Frank you dont think it could be a headgasket do you? i mean the head gaskets only 32 bucks if thats possibly the problem.. But the engine doesnt miss and runs good, Just doesnt cool

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

What happens if you run it with the thermostat cover off? Water should be pouring out like crazy.

A blown head gasket will not prevent the water from flowing through the motor, but it will score the cylinders really badly if run that way.