85 alpha one outdrive- leaking MAJOR water in through transom??

webnetxpress

Cadet
just finished getting the engine running good and cool (had a clogged water line & bad impeller) and stuck the boat in the water on the ramp, to find water gushing in from the transom area - around the drive shaft. Not specifically the drive shaft but in that general area. I inspected the bellows when I got it home (obviously never unhooked it from the trailer!)- everythign appears good, no tears that i could visibly see. What should I look for? I did have the outdrive off for the water line repair(upper & lower but not bellhousing or helmet) and put a new gasket on. <br />how should i go about troubleshooting that type of leak? It would seem that I should see a rather large, apparent problem considering that water was flowing in rather quickly- not just like a small leak from a crack or something...<br />one thing i was wondreing about- there is a rubber gasket that goes around the (8 inches wide or so) the base of the drive shaft at the upper housing- if this didn't get set in there right, could that leak water into the bellows and then through the drive shaft area?<br />David

vinney

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 85 alpha one outdrive- leaking MAJOR water in through transom??

Ujoint bellow leaking.

webnetxpress

Cadet

where would that normally leak water in from? The upper housing side (where I had installed that round, thick rubber gasket) or more likely on the transom side where the hose clamp is located?<br /><br />to add- the boat has been sitting for 12-18 months, i just bought it. condition was "fine when i last used it" etc etc.<br /><br />Thanks in advance.<br /><br />ps- is there a way to test for a leak in that bellows area? <br /><br />I was thinking of taking it back to the ramp at night or one day during week (when it's not too busy) and stick it back in the water and climb up with some flashlights to look into the engine compartment to see if I could notice the starting area. good idea or not?

webnetxpress

Cadet

can the bellows be replaced with the bellhousing still attached or do I have to remove that as well?

fireship1

Chief Petty Officer

Hello Webnet, Sounds like Vinney is right on to me. The bellows might not appear to be cracked....But you usually have to turn the drive to the extreme port and starboard directions and pry apart all of the folds. The crack hides in between the folds most of the time. This is the only thing that will let that much water in that fast short of having a cracked transom plate or drive bellow that is completely off of it's flange. I would change all three bellows while I'm in there. Check the gimbal bearing, u joints and shift cable for wear. Bondo gave me some good advice once. Change the shift cable while it's all apart. It will be out anyhow and they do and will wear out! You have to pull the drive and the bell housing to do this job correctly. Some other people on this board say that you can change it all with the bell in place. I don't see how! It's hard enough to do it while it's off! And you can't clean and prep what you can't see! Use bellows adhesive to glue it all together and you should be all set. Hope this helps. ;)

djvan

Chief Petty Officer

Also check the cooling hose behind the engine where it couples at the transom, while it's not likely, it may have a crack in it or even be broken off, causing your raw water pump to fill the bilge area.<br /><br />DougV>

webnetxpress

Cadet

i double checked the cooling hose, it seems fine and not leaking any water out when I run the engine with the hose hooked up.<br />if i pull the bellows off and don't find a tear, what would be the next thing to check?<br /><br />Is there anyway that water could be coming in from the upper housing or lower housing and then into the u joint area?

vinney

Chief Petty Officer

Ujoint bellow, shift cable boot or water hose for engine. If you hear it leaking its most likly the ujoint bellow. If you pull the drive and there is water in the ujoint bellow its leaking.

flashback

Captain

I think Vinny pretty much nailed it down.. check the drive bellows very closly! any cracks in the folds of the bellows can let a lot of water in in a short time... does it leak just sitting in the water not running?

webnetxpress

Cadet

yes, it was just leaking into the boat when it was on the trailer, backed down the ramp. I got in to hook up the battery and opened the engine compartment to see it filling up.<br />I just wonder if the gasket the fits around the drive shaft - to the upper half- if i got that in there sideways or not set right because it took a few tries to get the drive shaft lined up in teh engine. So, if that gasket had been pulled in and out and not set right, would that let water in at that point? I'm just not sure of where water has access besides the bellows. When I pull it off, if I don't find a tear, then I'll have to check the other possibilites. I'm just hopeful I will find a noticeable rip somewhere (and an end to my mystery)...

webnetxpress

Cadet

just to point out how much of a newbie I am - after clearing out the water hose debris that was causing my overheating, when I run the engine now, I have water & exhaust coming out the prop and on either side of the bellhousing at the transom. There seems to be an exhaust port on both the port & starboard sides right at the transom mount. Is that correct? (just want to make sure I'm not seeing exhaust exit from places it's not suppose to - which would answer the water leak problem)...???

flashback

Captain

If you have any water and exhaust coming out around the bell housing on the inside of the boat something is broke.(Y pipe is rusted out or has a hole in it), if you mean it is coming out around the gimbal housing on the outside, then this could be normal depending on what type of exhaust connection you have(bellows or tube).

vinney

Chief Petty Officer

The Y pipe is made of Alu. They won't rust out. I have seen the old style exhaust flapper the ss pin put a hole in the y pipe. The flapper gets stuck in the y pipe and works its way thru the y pipe.

flashback

Captain

I should have used the word corrode instead of rust, and yes the flapper will wear a hole in it, sorry for the confusion.........