'85 90hp johnson mid-high speed bog

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was holding off making a post as long as possible but I feel I am stuck and could use some guidance. This may be a long story so bear with me...

Back in March is when I first saw signs of the issue. I ran 15 miles (one way) to fish some perch. On the way there and back I could hear what I thought was a very slight miss. It was very subtle and you had to have a good ear to hear it and feel it. The boat would slow down for a split second, barely noticeable. I didnt get back out until about a month later and thats when the issue got worse. Going out I noticed it again but only slightly worse. Coming back in it got real bad. It was like a surge at high speeds. Like it would drop a cylinder and pick it back up again. So not wanting to chase issues I drop it off at a local shop. They have it for two and a half weeks and claim they could not duplicate the issue. The only issue they ran into was when they first fired it up they had no spark on the left side of the motor but when they go on the throttle it picked up those two cylinders and they said it never happened again. They claimed it ran great on the dyno. They checked spark, timing, and compression and reported no issues. So I take it back out shortly after getting it back and of course the issue is still there...get on the throttle and it misses (or bogs). So fish the morning and wait till I have time to diagnose it myself.

And here we are today. Took it out this morning to a local inland lake to play around with it. I got it up on plane and it immediately started doing it again. This time I primed the bulb coming from the tank and the motor clears out for a bit. AHA! Fuel issue not spark. Tried it on my 3gallon kicker tank and has the same issue so I know its in the motor. So I make a phone call and go pick up a fuel pump rebuild kit, some fuel line, and a fuel filter. Rebuild the fuel pump, replace the fuel filter, replace the line coming from the case to the filter, and from the filter to the pump, and replace the quick connect coming from the primer bulb. Figured I had solved the issue I run back to the lake...Problem is still there! At this point im guessing I need to tear into the carbs as a high speed jet is clogged. Am I on the right path or no? I do have a coil and a power pack on standby if needed.

Here is a video of the morning going fishing after it came back from the shop. This is full throttle. It has gotten a bit worse since the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEHi...-fvCTSL78Qzthg

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Stop running this motor hoping that it will magically clear up.----Report on compression test numbers.---The spark test.---Does spark jump a gap of 3/8" ( 1 cm ) or more on all leads ?

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
Stop running this motor hoping that it will magically clear up.----Report on compression test numbers.---The spark test.---Does spark jump a gap of 3/8" ( 1 cm ) or more on all leads ?

Cold compression-
120 top left
122 bottom left
115 top right
120 bottom right

Set gap to .40" on all 4 plugs, tested each plug to their corresponding cylinder and every one had bright blue spark

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Make sure high speed jets ( 5/8" long) , brass pieces found in the carburetor bowls are clean.----Do you have a water seperating fuel filter ??----If carburetors are confirmed clean test run with timing light hooked up to each cylinder to see how spark behaves.

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
Can i pull the bowls without pulling the carbs off the motor? Don't wanna deal with the link and sync. No water seprator filter. Wont be able to get back to it until Monday as work this weekend 12-11

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You can remove the high speed jets froom the carburetor bowls without removing the bowls.----A modified 3/16" diameter screw driver is suggested to get them out.------Easy to remove the carburetors for repair.----Do not overthink this ----LINK & SINC procedure.---It is likely not going to go out of adjustment at all !!!