85 115 evinrude

droptheline

Petty Officer 2nd Class
First thanks for any help. Have a mid 80's evinrude 115 that goes about 10 mph max. As usuall it runs great on the trailer. It needed maitenance I had the carbs cleaned and all four "power packs?" replaced as they were beat up and all new plugs and wires. The compression was 1. 100 2. 110. 3. 90 4. 100. I know those number could be higher and closer togather but it runs really smooth at wot its just not advancing past 2500 rpms. I am rebuilding the fuel pump and its my last hope so im hoping maybe someone has some ideas.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 85 115 evinrude

Try pumping the primer bulb while running and see if that helps, thinking defective fuel pump maybe.

droptheline

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I believe that the primer ball stays hard but ill try again, when we took apart the fuel pump their was a very small tear in one of the gaskets, waiting on the parts hopefully thats what it is. Do the compression #'s worry anyone besides me?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

The compression numbers wouldn't bother me, maybe do a decarb when you get it running and recheck compression.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

There is a very good possibility that you are running on less than four cylinders.

You may want to get an inductive timing light so that you can "read" the spark over the range of RPM.

BTW, None of the V4 models in the 1980's have four powerpacks, but some have two.

Be sure to use the correct plug wires, automobile wires won't do.

droptheline

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Im not a mechanic by any means but there are four small boxes that were replaced with oem equipment, they are where the plug wire connect to on the opposite end of the plugs and each cylinder has 1. maybe the motor is older then what i was told

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Those were your coils. I agree with ezeke (ha! like he needs me to agree with him, I bow to the master). My friend's 90 lost spark on a cylinder this past weekend due to a bad plug wire and it started, ran, and idled perfectly fine and smooth except that it had no power and would only go real slow like yours. We fixed the plug wire and presto full power. You may have a bad plug wire or a bad connection to one of the replaced coils.

droptheline

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the info i'll try to remeber the correct names for things as i go here. All wires, plugs and coils are new, its getting spark on the trailer on all four but on the last test run i pulled the plugs and #3 looked way really clean, like new clean, when the others had atleast some evidence of firing. ill grab my inductive timing light and give it another go under load. Thanks

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Those are ignition coils.

If that were my engine I would pull the cylinder head and take a look at #3.

droptheline

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok so i took it out today and put a timing light on it, in nuetral it fires on all four, but in gear the starboard bank misfires or at half & wot doesnt fire at all which is why im guessing im not getting past 10mph. i have replaced coils, wires and plugs, had carbs cleaned and replaced fuel pump at the dealer and they couldnt find anything wrong with it so i feel like im on my own at this point. Any help would be much appreciated thanks!

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

is the throttle arm connected to the timer base under the flywheel ,sometimes the connectors break,you might not be getting timing

droptheline

Petty Officer 2nd Class

im gonna try switching power packs from 1 side to the other as stated in previous posts here and see what i get, hopefully same problem on other side keeping fingers crossed! any other info is greatly appreciated!

droptheline

Petty Officer 2nd Class

PLEASE READ THE UPDATE

I switched powerpacks from one side to the other, now my right bank runs great and my left bank runs like crap, same problem opposite side, is the powerpack faulty?? Thanks so much to everyone