84 Merc 200HP - Won't Accelerate Past 3400RPM

wcsd106

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 84 Merc 200HP - Won't Accelerate Past 3400RPM

This has the type III thunderbolt ignition: One coil per cylinder.

From what I've read the stator is absolutely necessary for ignition.

wcsd106

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This thread is beginning to get long. Could a moderator please close this thread and I will create a new one since I now have a new problem. Thanks.

Dustin 0421

Recruit

I have am 84 200 merc and had this exact problem, the only two things it could be are the Trigger or Stator, most likely the stator, make sure you order the correct stator, there are 16amp and 9 amp stators, if you have a voltage regulator yours is a 9 amp, if you have a Rectifier its a 9 amp. be sure you mark the exact location the wiring harness is before you remove the stator because ur boat may bot run right if you instal the new one a turn right or left. also mark the fly wheel before removing, if you re install flywheel in a different location you will have issues trying to adjust timing. But i would say its deffinatly your stator if you have tested all fule and rectifire.

veritek_dragger

Seaman Apprentice

I had a very similar problem. Judging by his pictures, his problem was not ORIGINALLY the stator. His rectifier went bad. Once they go bad and short out, it heats up the stator to the point of failure (those yellow wires are to the stator). I would have disconnected the yellow wires from the rectifier and tested the motor on the water. If it still acted up, then the stator has been permanently damaged and needs replaced. There is clearly a short there and will just burn up the new stator if he doesnt replace the rectifier.