'84 Evinrude 115hp Loss of Power

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: '84 Evinrude 115hp Loss of Power

That engine has two power packs. You said you replaced one-how did you know it was bad? How about the other old pack still on the engine-have you tested it for good spark when warmed up?

RJ17

Cadet

That engine has two power packs. You said you replaced one-how did you know it was bad? How about the other old pack still on the engine-have you tested it for good spark when warmed up?

The only power pack I am aware of (again, new to the world of outboards and boat electrical) sits on "top" of the engine ago e the plugs on the back side of the engine. This was replaced by the prior owner 08-09 (or 08-10) prior to my purchase in 10-10.

I am assuming that if the engine runs smoothly in idle at all Rams that charge and spark are working fine. Would electrical issues arise under load (ie in gear and moving the boat) that would not be evident in idle?

Also, I am assuming, as far as the engine is concerned, that the battery only provides juice to the starter motor and that once the engine is running the battery has no impact and, in fact, is getting re-charged from the engine. While operating I am assuming the battery is only supplying "juice" to the radio, GPS, lights, bilge pump, etc.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

This is a completely screwed-up thread because it has been jumped by someone who has put his concerns above others.

Emdsapmgr is a skilled technician who is trying to get 83Crestliner to test his ignition system to determine if the powerpacks are breaking down under load. The inductive timing light is the correct tool for that purpose.

The 1989 motor is a big bore looper and not in any way comparable to the motor being discussed in this thread.

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer

I had the same problem with loss of power. It was my flywheel key, timing was off. My flywheel key broke in half.

'83Crestliner

Seaman Apprentice

Yea, the thread has gotten a bit foggy, but i know that emdsapmgr has been helping me and RJ out. I have really appreciated your help. I have to tell you i looked into the ignition components again and everything looked as it should. I went ahead and replaced the fuel pump and am looking to take it out in the next couple of days to test it out. I will report back and let you know if the pump did it (and i really hope it does!)

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If the pump doesn't do it for you look for holes in the hose or in a fittiing somewhere. It sounds like it could be sucking in some air somewhere.

My 85 90hp v4 behaved similarly and the new pump fixed it.

To replace the VRO pump with a non VRO pump get the pump for the 88 spl for your year, the 88 spl pump worked perfectly on my VRO 90. There is a thread on doing the pump replacement with the non-VRO pump.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=428223

Last edited:

'83Crestliner

Seaman Apprentice

Yea, i hope to find out soon. The VRO was converted to a standard pump before i bought the the boat. They took the VRO part out completely. Thanks

cturboaddict

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry, im just checking in so that i can follow to see what happens.... :D

demon1

Seaman

maby the fuel tank vent hose is clogged or its sagging and fuel is clogging it like a p trap in house plumbing. mine was doing that .need to route it up so gas will just run out if it goes in.
just a tought

Crappiejack

Recruit

It is always important when testing to have the right tools. It can be quickly diagnosed, durning faliure. A hand held meter or a timing light will indicate if there is a an electrical problem . Sounds like the power pack is heating up and there is a power interruption. You must be ready to test it when it goes down, and if it is carbs or a fuel problem, you could burn a piston.

'83Crestliner

Seaman Apprentice

Finally had a chance to get on it and checked the carbs out. Both carbs were in bad shape, one was real bad. 2 carb rebuild kits later and looking to take her out to test. Seems like i am going to have to get this engine in better overall shape. I thought the motor had been mantained better when i bought it, guess not.

Its a miracle that i am even able to go out this late in Nov. or Nov. at all. I will report back and let you guys know how things turn out. Thanks for all the feedback!

'83Crestliner

Seaman Apprentice

Well, i got it out on the water this afternoon and it ran like a champ!
Nice to finally have it solved. I kept waiting for the power to give and lose rpms, but it never happened. I feel a lot better about my purchase now and must say was getting worried. I wasn't going to let the problem ride into next year without figuring it out. I guess i can start getting to winterizing it now. That will be a whole other post i guess. Would like to get a bullet point kind of list of things i need to do to properly get it done.

Imuss, we ended up going through the same sequence of steps to get the motor right. Plugs, fuel pump, rebuild carbs - problem solved.

thanks for all the help!

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I did a water pump too, and one good thing about it all is I have a pretty good list of things I probably don't have to worry about for a while. :D

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'll probably forget something important, but here is my list for winterizing.

Try to run the tanks down low and put Stabil in the gas a few trips before season over. First trip out in the Spring top off with clean fresh fuel, that will usually keep anything bad from happening fuel or carb wise.

Fog the motor down good through the hole in the air box or pull cover off and fog it through the carbs. Read the instructions on you fogging oil can. I try to do this but I keep thinking I'll get out again and I don't do it at the lake, so I usually end up just doing the plug pull like listed below.

Lower the lower unit all the way down to the stop to drain all the water out. Since the frost is here I do this every trip from now until I put her up for the year.

Pull the motor cover and the plugs and spray a good shot MORE of fogging oil in each cylinder. Put the plugs back in hand tight and put the cover back on. (I will crank the motor over briefly in the Spring to blow out any excess fogging oil and put these new plugs back in for next year. I TORQUE MY PLUGS TO THE MANUAL SPEC. 19 ft/lbs. I think.) If I didn't get to fog it I will shoot some fogging oil down the carbs while turning it over with no plugs in, and the kill switch lanyard pulled.

Pull the batteries out and put them in the boat garage. I like to cycle my batteries, running a car stereo in the garage to drain them down then refreshing the charge several times in the winter.

Cover everything up and button it up tight. The 19 foot boat no longer fits in the boat garage, so it gets the cover then a big azz tarp over everything.