83 johnson impeller installation

Riverrat8428

Seaman Apprentice
Noticed that the new water pump kit has an O ring that should go some where in the impeller housing either above the impeller b/t the top (housing) and the impeller or beneath the impeller sealing the impeller bottom and the water pump plate? Which is correct? Also I notice that the new impeller has a grove for this O ring. Is there a top and bottom to this new impeller? Please help.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 83 johnson impeller installation

The impeller will 'ride' on the o ring. Be sure to remember the o ring at the top of the drive shaft as well,and oil the splines of the driveshaft before re installation. The top of the impeller housing will have a grommet that the water tube fits into. Be careful during re installation that the water tube does not go in on an angle, shoving this grommet into the housing, restricting waterflow.

I would flush the cooling system with compressed air, or the garden hose while you have the lu down. Be sure there are no restrictions. Also be sure to clean out the water intake area.

Riverrat8428

Seaman Apprentice

By riding on the O ring, I assume it goes on the bottom of the impeller to ride on the plate. I noticed there are no screens behind the water intake holes. I have noticed the **** hole stop when encountering weeds while idling out of my canal, could the missing screens be the reason. I have purchased a new screen and intend on installing at the impeller replacement. bill

Benny1963

Lieutenant

could be ya need them.
you should have one undere impellar .
possible one on drive shaft at top.if grooved for it and if it is sierra kit
there will be a oring between houseing and cup ,
brp uses a seal in houseing unless they did away with it to and went to oring
between cup and houseing ,water pump is very important
rather not say how i know ,lets just say it cost 2200 to figure it out

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I noticed there are no screens behind the water intake holes. I have noticed the **** hole stop when encountering weeds while idling out of my canal, could the missing screens be the reason. I have purchased a new screen and intend on installing at the impeller replacement. bill

Even more the reason to flush the system while you have it down. Do it right the first time then forget about it.

Riverrat8428

Seaman Apprentice

One more question and I'll drop the LU and do the job. I see that the impeller key is a half moon looking piece of plastic with a wedged end and a 90 degree end. Using your previous post looking at a clockwise rotation it appears that with the direction of rotation for the drive shaft (clockwise) the wedged area rather than the 90 degree'd area locks the impeller making it turn? Is this correct? Bill

Riverrat8428

Seaman Apprentice

OK, I have blown out the cooling system, installed the new style water pump, have the impeller riding on the O ring. I have taken the boat to the ramp and ran it for 15 minutes. I must say right away, I could see a differance in the cooling. I have now water exiting from the two round holes in the mid section and have not had this in a long time,, Also the cylinder block is cooler than it was before..I would like to say thanks for your help.. It is working correctly and thank you very much again.....Bill Hesson