82 Evinrude 9.9 HP Tiller Throttle

brwilli1

Recruit
The tiller twist throttle is has gotten hard to use. All of the teeth in the gears look pretty good but I have run into two problems.

1 - How do you get the shaft out the goes between the bend in the tiller arm and the gear inside the motor cover. I can't get the two gears inside the motor cover off. They are at a 90 degree angle and run into each other. The gear at the bend in the bend in the tiller arm appears to have a little grease housing next to it. I would like to clean all of these up and re-grease as they are pretty sticky.

2 - The throttle linkages under the flywheel are difficult to turn. Any ideas on how to improve/fix this?

Any suggestions/help would be much appreciated.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 82 Evinrude 9.9 HP Tiller Throttle

grease, you have to remove the gear on the vertical shaft to get to the gear on the tiller shaft.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Couple of things happen here. Over time slop develops where the bolt goes through the tiller handle to hold the handle down. When you turn the handle a gap exists between the handle and the body where the tiller bolts to. This causes less of a positive grip between with the tiller gears. To take up the slack you need to cut out the thickness of a margarine lid and put it between the handle and the body. I have still yet to solve this issue. I've tried 2 different mag plates on mine and it's still tight. I asked the same question in the summer but the solution was never presented. I know it's not the gears or tiller handle cause I can disconnect everything from the mag plate and it works fine. I think that something swells where the mag plate sits on the powerhead or I need to regrease this area. Give me a day or 2, I'll tear into mine and solve it once and for all. Mine is an 83 btw.

img3546k.jpg

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Pulled the flywheel , undid the magplate and lubricated all contact surfaces, lubed the tiller gears and it works great now.

CatTwentyTwo

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for taking the time to research that bk. The mag plate on my 84 9.9 is also very stiff and I am going to give that a try. Did you happen to use Triple Guard grease or something a bit thinner?

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Thanks for taking the time to research that bk. The mag plate on my 84 9.9 is also very stiff and I am going to give that a try. Did you happen to use Triple Guard grease or something a bit thinner?

I used whatever I had lying around, I used castrol chain lube, figured if it was good enough to lube a motorcycle chain it would work on plastic gears and under a flywheel.

brwilli1

Recruit

Thanks! I did the same thing and things are working much better. I just had to clean things up real good and re-grease.