81 Johnson 90hp Dropping Cylinders while underway

smoedog

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I repowered my pontoon with a 81 Johnson 90 and I am having a few issues.

First and foremost I know this motor needs rings. I tested compression when I first got it on the boat and it was low but I couldn't get repeatable results between the cylinders. So in the off season I will be re-ringing it, if not more.

So now on the water. It starts fine, idles good as long as i keep the revs up around 1100-1300. And runs out of the hole to WOT fine with no hiccups. WOT is only about 4100 right now, which could be a mix between over propped (15p on a 21ft pontoon @22mph gps) and motor health ( I hit 4100 at about 2/3 throttle, any more throttle makes no difference).

The main issues I have a question on is after running for awhile it drops a cylinder and revs drop to 3000. If i take it down to idle speed at is definitely not running on all 4 as it is bucking and shaking. Now to fix it I either can let it run like that at it will eventually pick back up or I can beach it and shut it down and after a while it might run normal or still miss. Its all hit or miss.

Ideas? Like I said, this winter I will be going through the motor, replacing the rings/pistons, cleaning carbs ect ect. I was thinking maybe one of the low cylinders was loading up and flooding out then it would recover. Anything else I can check while I am in there. I was thinking maybe one of the coils was shorting out when hot, but I don't know how to check.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
First off, you really need to know the compression on all 4 cyls. That will determine if it's worth putting any $ into prior to overhaul. At this point, you just don't have any idea of the overall health of that powerhead. If you have no compression on one cyl, it's not worth investing any $ till you overhaul it... It is possible that the engine is not running on all 4 cyls once it warms up. Normal operating temps are enough to adversely affect a weak ignition component. So, when it's well warmed up, check for spark. There are two good methods: the cyl drop test and by using a spark tester-to see if the spark will jump a 7/16" gap. Once you know about the spark, you can swap any of the 4 coils and both power packs-for testing purposes.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
coils possibly, do a drop test when its not running to isolate it down.
check spark jumps 7/16 on all cylinders