80's johnson/evinrude 25hp to 30-35hp conversion with pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwcove

Admiral
Re: 80's johnson/evinrude 25hp to 30-35hp conversion with pics

Since I could not buy a infant boat seat I customized a camo seat I had already for my 2yr old. I put side guards and handle grips to keep him from falling to the side when turning and a crotch guard to keep him from sliding out the front of the seat. As you know you cannot seat belt children in a boat (nobody for that matter lol). I have had so many people on the lake ask me where I bought this and when I tell them I built it myself they ask what I would charge to make them one.
View attachment 132821

nice work on the seat!!!(and the project!) jmo.....add a foam pad on the crotch guard! lol

jasper60103

Commander

Thank you jasper, and no I'm not a member of tinboats. I don't even know what tinboats is lol. And I totally understand the wife thing. I come back to the landing to pick her up at 1-2pm usually because I am on the lake before sunrise.

Come check us out (http://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=21&sid=399ad314ea4fc39bfe094780858cc74c). I'm sure other tinboats owners would love to see your work.

Johny25

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow I didn't know of that site, thanks Jasper I am going to have to join up :)

Johny25

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Jasper I tried sending you a private message but it wouldn't let me because your box is to full?

BoatingCop

Chief Petty Officer

Excellent job on the seat!! I wanna do the same for my 3 y/o. BTW Tin boats is a great site for jon boat mods. I was on there when I had my tinny

Johny25

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Boatingcop, and the seat works wonders trust me. It keeps him in the seat really well and he loves the handle side boards. I almost want to make one for me and make someone else drive the boat lol. I made the design in my head from looking at our highchair we had for him. And it still allows him to be thrown free if the boat capsizes or something like that.

Well my motor got a face lift along with the intake and car mod. I repainted the motor (lots of sanding and my arms hurt like hell) and Cabelas got my stainless prop in :) so happy valentines to me! Best valentine in 10yr lol. http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk160/Timtoboyko/DSCN6406.jpg

Not sure if the motor will perform much better with the stainless prop but man it looks good!

Attachments

• DSCN6391.jpg
    DSCN6391.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCN6384.jpg
    DSCN6384.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCN6406.jpg
    DSCN6406.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 4

jasper60103

Commander

Hey Jasper I tried sending you a private message but it wouldn't let me because your box is to full?

Interesting. I only had 19 messages in my box. Anywho, I cleaned it out. Thanks.

edit: Oh, excellent paint job on the motor. Yea, she looks sweet with that shiney stainless prop.

Johny25

Petty Officer 1st Class

Where did all my pictures go? I guess I am going to have to put them all back up otherwise the thread is worthless.....ugh

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Yes. Where are all the pics?

Johny25

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well maybe someone else can explain where the pics went because when I go to edit the post all the pics are there and it will not let me reload them?

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer

Did you load the pictures from Photobucket or the like?? The picture site may be have trouble and or maintenance and the pictures are temporarily unavailable.

Johny25

Petty Officer 1st Class

No I loaded them directly off my computer, so that is why I am so baffled.

jasper60103

Commander

No I loaded them directly off my computer, so that is why I am so baffled.

Bummer. Please try to reload them or link from photobucket. Those pics are priceless. This is a great thread.

Johny25

Petty Officer 1st Class

I cannot figure out how to fix the thread! It will not allow me to load any pics on because it says there are already pics there? That I have put the maximum number of pics up? I don't know how to fix it?

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer

If you have photobucket or snapfish or whatever account. Post the pictures there and then post a link on this thread. Then we will be able to see the pictures on the picture server. Just a suggestion.

Johny25

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok I believe the thread is fixed, thanks for the tip about photo bucket. Was a pain to fix but worth it to someone I hope :)

Oh and the wife was not happy that I bought the 25hp johnson, she was insistent that my 9.9 was plenty big enough accomplish what I was doing. But when she saw the size of the 25 next to the 9.9 she was impressed about the size difference. So it does matter how big your johnson is lol
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk160/Timtoboyko/DSCN6415.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk160/Timtoboyko/DSCN6416.jpg

jasper60103

Commander

Yeh, the pics are back !
You gonna keep the 9.9?

Johny25

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah she has been in the family since birth :) My father bought it brand new in 87' and she still looks showroom new under the cover. Been very well taken care of and would never again find one in the condition she is in. It is actually a 15hp, I did the mod upgrade on it last year with the 15hp carb and exhaust tube. I may put it back to the 9.9 though now that I have the bigger Johnson. I am going to sell my 2001 6hp 4stroke Tohatsu this year though which is also in mint condition. It came with my boat and has about 10hrs on it is all.

jasper60103

Commander

Yea, definitely keep Dads motor. It does look very clean. Besides, still may prove useful as good trolling motor, or somewhere down the road.

Johny25

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok update to the thread. The first time I took out the motor I had an issue with the motor cutting out when I tried to throttle up. I did get it to WOT by manipulating the primer knob and the motor is very fast on my boat! Almost to the sketchy point lol. Anyway I found that I had a leak in the primer assembly so I put a new assembly on, replaced all fuel lines, put a new thermostat in as a precautionary measure because it had never been changed, ordered a REAL service manual instead of my POS seloc that I burned in the fireplace and I did a link n sync on the motor. Took it back out yesterday and it ran like a swiss watch :) I did have an issue with the motor over reving with just my 3yr old and me in the boat. So I went back to shore and put a 13 pitch prop on that I had just bought for $30 bucks at the local marine shop and all was good. So when I run light I will have to switch to the 13 but when I got a good load in the boat I will run with my SS 11 pitch. I did lose a lot on holeshot with the aluminum 13 pitch but top end seemed to increase a little. I was shocked at how much of a dog it was on take off compared to the 11 pitch SS.

When I was at the marine shop the guy laughed at me when I told him I had a stainless prop on this motor. He said it was a waste. But I will say that the stainless prop has much better performance characteristics than my 11 pitch stock aluminum prop. I think it is due to the cupping that is on the stainless, not to mention the thinner blades. I am actually thinking about getting a SS 13 pitch?

Status
Not open for further replies.