'78 'rude 9.9/15 prepping for saltwater trip questions

CaptTorS

Cadet
I have a 14 ft SeaNympth with 78 Evinrude 9.9 /15 conversion , my grandfather used to take it to the ocean once a year , I'd like to know what kind of items I need to carry with me; spare prop, cotter pin, and is there a link that says exactly what is required by coast guard, looking for any tips , or what ppl use in an emergency kit, thanks

nwcove

Admiral
Re: '78 'rude 9.9/15 prepping for saltwater trip questions

i would visit the coast guard site for your country, whats required should be there. as far as other stuff goes, i always take a drive pin, a pair of vise grips, a universal screw driver, a sharp knife, spare spark plugs, and the all important roll of duct tape!!! you can fit alot of basic tools etc into a medium sized tupperware container. and make sure to tell someone where you plan to go, when you plan to leave, and when you plan to return!!!! jmo

and if you plan on a "three hour tour" make sure to bring along enough clothing for 98 episodes.

Gilligan's Island Theme Song - YouTube

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Your profile does not mention your location. Hope you are on the east coast & will be using a bay to access the ocean as here on the west coast a 14' boat is not anywhere near big enough no matter how much experience you may have.

A compass (and knowing how to use it), depthfinder, plus a anchor may save your life.

By the way, there is no cotter pin in that prop.

CaptTorS

Cadet

Thanks, it's just around the inlet , islands, and bay in Brigantine, NJ . The cotter pin may have been from the earlier 70s evinrude , I found an extra prop and pin in with his box of supplies along with a flag, flares, air horn,etc. I don't have a depth finder, I think this motor has the quick release knock back if it hits ground, I'm not planning on going far enough to have to rely on a compass, but I have one, just in case I get turned around, just want to fish a little

CaptTorS

Cadet

image.jpg don't know if u can see it, there's a pin thru the nut inside the prop

CaptTorS

Cadet

1978 Evinrude 9.9 Model#10824M , I have the owners manual, can't figure out these "grease fittings" they aren't zerk fittings,& a needle doesn't work either

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Don't go out further than you can paddle back!