78 OMC 225 and Edelbrock 1409

Status
Not open for further replies.

reference123

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 78 OMC 225 (chevy 305 small block) that came stock with the quadrajet carb. Quadrajet had problems so I replaced it with the Edelbrock 1409 (and the proper square to round bore adapter). Added an inline fuel filter and reran all appropriate lines.<br /><br />Used the original throttle cable and attached it to the Edelbrock throttle by running a bolt through the edelbrock throttle attachment and the hole in the throttle cable connector (required adjusting throttle cable about an inch towards the front of the boat).<br /><br />Made adjustments to idle and screws in drive with earmuffs on and had it sounding really good. Took it out to the lake for the first time and found WOT had dropped from 4300RPM's to 3000RPM's using same prop. <br /><br />What am I doing wrong. It was almost as if the throttle was not opening all the way but in the drive it will rev up to 5000 RPM's (only did this for a half second and backed if off immediately).<br /><br />I would appreciate any ideas of what I should look at as the cause of the problem. Also, is there a way to make sure the choke is open (I dont even mind making it stay open as it is generally only used during hot days to start with). I am not sure that is happening.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 78 OMC 225 and Edelbrock 1409

What the motor will do in the Driveway,......<br />Is Totally Irrevelent.........<br />An engine running on only 1/2 of it's cylinders will Rev to the Moon with No Load............<br /><br />When looking down thru the throat of the Carb. at WOT,... Are All the Throttle Plates Wide Open ????<br /><br />It Sounds like the secondaries aren't working properly..........

reference123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks. Yeah, I plan on taking it out to the lake and checking. Hopefully wont fall off the back :eek:

rbezdon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Check with the engine off!! Just look down the carb and actuate the throttle lever to what should be the WOT position and see if both the pri and sec throttle plates are in the WOT position. I wouldn't put my face down the carb running WOT on the lake and even worse try it in the driveway on the muffs!!

reference123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK, found the throttle cable is being hit by the carb lever thus stopping it about half way (tried attaching it both on inside and outside of carb connection. Inside carb hits cable, outside carb hits rod going through cable attachment). Has anyone made the same mod and what bracket or extension was used to attach the throttle cable to the Edelbrock to get around this problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.