78 Merc 500 onto 2004 Suntracker-Need advice!

Jacket4life

Petty Officer 1st Class
Allright guys, I have a project. The ppl. on this forum helped me fix this 500 2 years ago and it has run great every since. It is on a 16' aluminum bass boat. The issue is this: my father (who owns both boats) has a barge. He bought it with a 40 hp mercury brand new. We have had trouble with it for the last two summers, and now it has low compression in one cylinder and no compression in another. We are going to remove it and rebuild it both as practice and because we cannot afford to have it rebuilt by a shop. What we'd LIKE to do is put the old merc on the barge, rebuild the newer motor and put it on the bass boat and sell it. Because our next project is to buy a project boat. This way we get some experience, and end up with the old merc (which we love) on the barge permanently.

I'd like ANY input at all. I have looked at the connections and see two issues that seem major to me right off the bat: 1. The electrical hookup from the old motor doesn't look like the newer one. 2. The trim mechanisms seem totally different.

The steering and throttle mechanisms look similar, but I don't have the boats side by side. I am planning on tackling this starting next weekend, when I get the bass boat back to my dad's place. But I'm starting to think the best approach is going to be to remove everything, from the control box all the way back and put it all from the bass boat to the barge, and vice versa.

My last question is about removing the motor from the barge. Should I pull the powerhead first? It seems the easiest way, since it's going to have to come off to be rebuilt anyway. Any reason I SHOULDN'T do it this way?

O.k., thanks for any input, and hope everyone has a safe and fun summer.

Probably makes no difference, but it's a '73 merc, not '78. Sorry

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: 78 Merc 500 onto 2004 Suntracker-Need advice!

Makes no difference if you pull the powerhead, then the rest of it or just pull the whole lot straight up... Make the decision based on what will be easiest.

As for swapping the engines across, yeah, you're going to need to swap everything. The only things that are compatible are the control cables (just the cables, not the control box)... nothing else.

Chris..........

Jacket4life

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 78 Merc 500 onto 2004 Suntracker-Need advice!

Makes no difference if you pull the powerhead, then the rest of it or just pull the whole lot straight up... Make the decision based on what will be easiest.

As for swapping the engines across, yeah, you're going to need to swap everything. The only things that are compatible are the control cables (just the cables, not the control box)... nothing else.

Chris..........

That's what I was afraid of. We'll see.

Any idea what that old motor is worth? I know achris may not b/c he's in Australia. Anyone in the states have any clue?