78' Evinrude 35853R Electric Start - Prop hard(ish) to turn

NicoPags

Petty Officer 1st Class
Over the off season decided to replace some nagging components. New prop (thanks iBoats), New water pump kit, and replaced shift linkage when reinstalling LU. I have not tank tested yet and heres why. When I pulled old prop off, before dropping the LU, it would spin almost freely either in F-N-R. After installing the waterpump kit, there is resitance to rotate freely. Is this cause by the new and yet to be run rubber impeller? I picked up 2 old ted williams for 80 bucks for the lot at a yard sale. So I can get out on the lake. But for closure I would like to know what to expect from installing new w/p kit.
Thanks iBoaters.

Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Have you got it in neutral or gear when trying to spin it ??

NicoPags

Petty Officer 1st Class
I tried in all 3 gears neutral still presents some resistance but I'd say a small fraction of what in gear feels like.

NicoPags

Petty Officer 1st Class
The lu was reinstaled after the water pump kit was installed. New impeller casing gaskets etc all put back together by myself took extra caution to ensure drives haft and water tube were correctly lined up I re attached the shift rods with a brand new linkage. And new prop came in from iboats so I just installed that the other day

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Pop the prop off and try turning the prop shaft. If the shaft turns easier, maybe a thrust washer is missing or in backwards. Tossing ideas, Nico.

NicoPags

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks GA and Boobie for the advice. I did pull all the prop and spacer and thrust washer. Thruse washer seems to have been pressed into the prop it looks normal as if it were supposed to do that. However the prop shaft is just as hard to rotate. I tried rotating from the flywheel to weakly mimic what starting would look like. It felt 100% normal and rotated the prop shafts with ease. Tried in every gear. That beingsaid should it be safe to start up and run/test