78 evinrude 115 carburetor rebuild?

BigBassin78

Seaman
I just recently bought some rebuild kits for the said carbs. Im sure many on this forum have rebuilt these carbs. My main question is: I had many parts left over, like rubber washers and small plastic bushings of some sort, is that ok? And my next question is, is it necessary to pull core plugs IF: there are 4 very small holes in the main venturi, when I spray carb cleaner in the slightly larger one, cleaner flows through the other three very freely. It seems clean, but am I still missing something by not getting under those core plugs?? Thanks gentlemen.

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 78 evinrude 115 carburetor rebuild?

Carb kits come with an assortment of components and it's common to have pieces left over. That same kit can be used on dozens of carbs that are slightly different than yours. I have coffee cans full of those extra componenets (never know when you'll need them)! As for the core plug, you'll probably find that it's clean under it but, it is part of a total carb re-build to remove the plug. I use a 1/8 drill bit, make a hole through the plug and use a small tool (nail punch) to pry it out. Take a piece of fine wire and poke through the small holes, spray with cleaner, and blow out with compressed air. I use the same nail punch (upside down) to dimple the top and squeeze the plug tightly in place.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 78 evinrude 115 carburetor rebuild?

I don't pull the core plugs and have never had an issue. As you say, you can detect the proper flow from the carb openings when you spray the Gumout through each passages. It is possible that an old carb may have some excessive dried fuel in those passages. If you do remove the core plugs, note that the factory used a sealer around the original plug edges when they were installed. A product called: Gasoila, it won't break down when exposed to gas.