77 Johnson 85 Horse Carb float orientation

MRneatfreak

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Had start and running issues discussed in another thread, so got the carbs off, looks like they have been recently cleaned out. I got 2 new kits. I read the secret file, and the general carb info. The kits didn't come with any instructions, and they are sealed genuine parts from johnson in plastic bags. I understand how to set the float parallel to the carb base, but not sure which way the float hinges should face? Should the hinges be up or down when the carb itself is upside down?

Also how far should the floats hang down when the carb is right side up?:confused:

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 77 Johnson 85 Horse Carb float orientation

You dont need to adjust the float drop at all, just as long as it opens the needle from the seat. Did the kit come with a needle with a rubber tip that is attached to the float arm with a little clip?

When you install the float, see the little tab between the hinges? That will be pointing down, which is actually up since you are installing the float with the carb upside down? Are you confused, I am.

MRneatfreak

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ha ha, yes pictures are worth a thousand words.

I made the mistake of watching a guy on youtube pull the welch plug out of a carb, so I decided to try it, got one of em out, cleaned everything inside out with air and carb spray, went to put the new one in and realized the new one was too small! Drove back down to my marina and they sold me the right one for the engine, but the carbs didn't come with the engine their model number stamped on the front is 322033, and they couldn't cross reference it till Monday. So not wanting the grass to grow under my feet, I pulled the carbs and fuel pump off of my 135 Johnson (not real sure what hp it is, never looked at the model numbers) that has low compression, and threw them on my 85 horse.

The 85 horse started right up, ran great for about 2 minutes and started acting funny like it was lean, anyway it starting idleing faster, had slight miss and would die. Could be a whole slew of things, will play around with it tomorrow. I rechecked compression and all four when warm were between 125-130.

MRneatfreak

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Drained the carbs on both sides and some small particles ran out. Tightened up two loose hoses on the primer bulb, and now she stays running.