77 Evinrude 115 hp won't go faster than 20 mph

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
yessir. address current issues (incl potential ones). Something seems to have changed....

Ktgritz

Seaman Apprentice
Nearly identical 110-115 the more I watch the video more I think lower unit

interalian

Commander
Since you get a massive rooster tail when trying to go faster, something HAS to be disturbing the waterflow under the boat and taking water away from the prop. If the prop was slipping, you'd get revs but no rooster tail. If the shift dogs were jumping, the motor would bang back into gear which we're not seeing.

Can you look over the stern to see what it's doing while somebody else pilots?

EDIT: is the hull bottom secure? One time years ago, my dad smoothed some silicone out forward of the transom of our boat to ease the water going over a depth sounder. The silicone peeled away from the hull and scooped water away from the motor at high speeds.

Ktgritz

Seaman Apprentice
I'm going to cut that plate up a little raise the motor to recommended height and put my other prop on. This is so frustrating

Ktgritz

Seaman Apprentice
You watched the new video I posted? There is a small bead of silicone but it's flush with the bottom

interalian

Commander
Yes, but it's hard to tell what's happening there. I was expecting to see the water being pushed away from the prop, but it seems more like the water is being disturbed before it gets to the prop. Any lips or ledges that protrude at the transom line can disturb the water there.

Ktgritz

Seaman Apprentice
If I cut 1/2 inch off of that there will be nothing but the hull which is hard to tell in the picture but it's in good shape

interalian

Commander
In post #33 you linked a YouTube clip the prior owner made where the boat was running fast. Was the diamond plate on then? Did he add it or did you?

trailking82

Petty Officer 3rd Class
When i looked at the picture from the rear, it apears there is something further ahead under the hull. Is there something attached under the hull?

Attachments

• IMG_1540.JPG
    IMG_1540.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 0

interalian

Commander
No Title

This screenshot from your 'transom view' clip seems to show aerated waterflow just next to the skeg.

Attachments

• photo272201.png
    photo272201.png
    364.6 KB · Views: 0

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Dings, nicks and gouges don't make much of a difference, bent and crooked can.

Ktgritz

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Like this? Lol if I thought it was that important I would have said something

Attachments

• photo272326.jpg
    photo272326.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 0

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Sometimes it makes a difference, other times not, but this may be the time it does.

​They tend to break if you try to straighten them, but it's there to protect the prop, people frequently don't replace them when they break off, it just looks bad. So it's up to you, and you may get some good options from others here.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
The curve to the side doesn't matter that much, the issue would be from it being bent a bit sideways too. So look at it from front to back and see if it's straight that way.