77 2hp easy maintenance gone bad

smeltjr

Seaman Apprentice
easy enough replacement of water pump impeller on a motor that has not been run in 25 yrs. carb rebuilt went with no issues. magneto parts on with no issues. gravity fed tank valve replaced with no issues. <br />took off the water pump upper housing to get the impeller out-it was in there pretty good. grabbed one of the vanes with pliers to pull it off-i was not holding down the driveshaft in place. the impeller came off allright, but it raised the entire driveshaft up some from the lower unit-it would not go back down. turns out the pinion gear on the driveshaft completely separated from the driveshaft in the lower unit.<br />taking the lower unit apart, looks like the propshaft/gear "carrier" on the lower unit of this motor is one assembly that is simply sealed with a large o-ring. also looks like the pinion gear on the driveshaft is not fastened onto the driveshaft at all-just slides into splines, i do not see any kind of a "key" or anything that holds the pinion gear on. i do not have a parts manual on this particuliar motor. my factory manual is for older motors. it does look like a pretty simple system unless i am missing something. <br />can anyone confirm? thanks.

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: 77 2hp easy maintenance gone bad

I looked at the parts breakdown in the exploded view on ishopmarine.com. I don't see anything that holds the pinion except the splines. Looks like that's it.<br /><br />I think you can just put the thing back together and go.

smeltjr

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 77 2hp easy maintenance gone bad

thanks. looks to be the simplist lower unit i have seen. just got a new o ring. will fire it up tomorrow. make sure no lu leaks.