77' 16ft Starcraftt ss

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Went to the DMV today because I know there is always a LEO there and I asked if he could run the numbers for me on this thing before I dump time, money, and effort into working on it making sure its not stolen. And it came back clear. will hopefully start a thread in the outboard section this weekend and keep this updating also. pulled the lower unit off while at work today and looked more at the top end. this is going to be fun redoing. Just hoping there is nothing catostrophic in there.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
so I got distracted and attempted to build a motor stand but my kids gotten away and I did not build it strong enough and the motor dropped and broke something with the steering so I will continue tomorrow and keep y'all updated hopefully it isn't that bad but it was basically free anyway.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Oh jeez ole Murphy always seems to raise his head up when you least need or expect it. I know all about that guy Murphy and his antics.

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
That sucks gone, hope it isn't anything that you can't fix. Dont you just hate Ole murphy. I'm heading out now to fix up some of his handy work from the other day😅

Decker83

Commander
Hate to hear about the bad news.. Hope you can get the motor fixed without a lot of expense..

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
When I dropped it, it landed on bottom corner under the cowl. So something broke broke broke that holds the top end and mid section to turn as one piece and its now crooked. My fault really, but more stuff to do on the weekends now. Since the boats been stored at a friends the last few weeks, Ive been really bored when I have down time.

So far the house has shown a lot the last week, and one couple even came back for a sencond look. I think we are in their top 2 or 3. So we will see. Hoping something happens soon so I can get the boat back here and find a place to install the camp stove and stereo, interior lighting, livewell, seating....and on and on!

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Here we go again again.....

No money to work on this johnson now....... Because my dad is going to pick this up for me tomorrow :D

00X0X_8xoriDD9rcE_600x450.jpg

00V0V_5PBJOO0TdUr_600x450.jpg

1995 40 hp. I had to order a tiller for it off ebay too. That should be here in a few weeks hopefully. I dont use ebay much but the sellers reviews were great. fresh water only central FL motor! with power tilt and trim. Cant wait. Might get to splash her in July!!

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Nice gone! Everything works out in the end. Can't wait to see your splash.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
I cant wait either. It official though, Dad picked it up this morning. Ill probably bring the boat down there to install it July 4th weekend. Hopefully the tiller handle arrives by then.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Experience needed and opinions on the install of this motor.

The transom skin already has 4 holes in it but i havnt drilled the holes through the new transom yet. I know i have read about a tool to use to ensure the holes go in at the right angle? Whats it called again?

Also, any tips and facts are welcomed. Botls inboard or out? 4200 in the bolt holes and washers? Backing plates inside the the transom bolts and out? Any and all information is welcome!

I think i also read that the motor doesnt have to or should not rest completley on the top of the transom?

Thanks guys!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Will the holes through the skin match up to the motor your installing?

The tool is called a drill guide, this is the one I have. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JCIMEA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I would only use 5200 on the through bolts and coat the holes first with a screw driver before putting the bolt in. Try to only tighten the nut so the bolt doesn't spin out the 5200 rather squeezes it out, you'll get a more positive seal that way.

It doesn't matter if the motor mount saddle sits down on the top of the transom or not, if the holes are the right pattern and the AV plate is at the correct height then just bolt the motor down and call it good.

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
What Rob said, don't drill the holes until you confirm they are in the same position as the ones on the motor mount. I'll just add that the heads of the bottom bolt should be on the outside and top on inside. 1/2 inch thick shaft stainless fine thread bolts and locking nuts with extra thick washers so they don't cup.

hayko1971

Starmada Splash of the Year 2015
I made my own drill guide with 2 pieces of wood and a spade bit. Bore a hole through a 2x4 the size of the spade bit. In the other piece, drill a hole the size of the shaft. Screw the wood together with the big hole and small hole lined up and push the shank of the spade bit through the fat hole and the skinny hole. now you have a jig to keep your holes perpendicular to the transom when you place it on. the spade sinks in the fat hole so you can move it around. When drilling, the skinny hole keeps you in line.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Thanks for the info guys. Sold the 25hp project today. Got money for fuel lines, filters and everything else ill need to get this motor pushin the ugly duckling.

Decker83

Commander
Looks like a good deal on the 40.. Glad to see you found someone to buy the 25 hp..:clap2:

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
the tiller arm is getting closer, made the flight from israel over the big pond!

Last scanned today:
Package locationJAMAICA , NY

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
The tiller arm arrived today..... but no one was home to sign for it. Maybe tomorrow.

Question for the MOB. Where do you all prefer to get your trailer tires? Im needing 205 75 R14's. From what I read I should get the radials because I plan on traveling highway miles at highway speeds.