77 115hp Evinrude has me stumped.

PNW Driver

Seaman
I'm totally new to outboards and am getting stumped. It starts and runs on the muffs but seems to "lope" a bit and occasionally miss. We took it to the ramp today and tried it out. It started and ran with the cold start lever up and warmed up. After it was warm the idle was in the 600 range. As soon as we put it in gear it dies. We left it tied up to the dock and could get it in forward and up to about 1500 rpm. If we put the throttle lever all the way forward it died.

I bought this project 6 weeks ago for 300 bucks and have done the following

Full water pump
changed out fuel for fresh( proper mix)
tore down carbs, soaked and reassembled them with full kits
new coils
new plugs (champion L77jc4)
compression test 115,120,125,125
new thermostat

Any help would be great

jjacobs007

Lieutenant
Re: 77 115hp Evinrude has me stumped.

check that your getting spark to all cylinders,then do ohms check on timer base and stator.the115 cylinder seems a lot off to the others.that cylinder might be bad.could be carb blockage or something out of synk.check the reeds too.

PNW Driver

Seaman

Ok. Sounds like I'm gonna be on a learning curve. I'm not familiar with reeds. Thanks for the reply.

cdn-pk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds like a carb adjustment and link'n'sync is required. i had a 77 140, best engine i've had.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

An occasional miss at idle could be a lean sneeze. That's usually a restriction (dried fuel) in one of the idle passages of the carb. (not a spark issue.) Did you clean all the carb passages with a good aerosol carb cleaner, like gumout? Each passage should be checked for flow rate, vs the same passages in the other carb. Did you pull out each jet and visually inspect them?

PNW Driver

Seaman

Thanks for the replies. After studying an exploded diagram of the carbs I realized in my haste and inexperience I completely overlooked the high speed jets. Where can I get a tool for removing them? I have a ground down screwdriver that works perfects for the idle jets but is too wide to reach the others. Also, when I rebuilt them I soaked them in a can of carb cleaner for 20 minutes them blew through every passage I could find with compressed air.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The jets are hard to get out without the right tool. You can grind down a small screwdriver to get them out. Or, Bombardier sells a special jet tool screwdriver which is the best. Part number: 317002. Fairly inexpensive. Sometimes it is handy to spray the aerosol carb cleaner through each passages. That way the solvent forces/dissolves any deposits out, which compressed air may not.

PNW Driver

Seaman
Re: 77 115hp Evinrude has me stumped. updated

Ok. I pulled the carbs today and removed inspected and shot carb cleaner through each jet. (8 total). No blockages anywhere. In addition, I ran a piece of stiff wire through every passage I could find. The interesting thing I did find though , was the silver plugs that look kinda like dimes on the top carb would allow carb cleaner to escape around their edges when I would spray from underneath through the idle jet passage. I assume thats not good. I went to the dealer and he let me dig 4 news out of his spare parts box no charge. How much of a problem would them leaking cause?

singledoubt88

Seaman

PNW,

The dimelike objects that are leaking cleaner are called core plugs. These plugs cover the fixed idle orifices that feed the venturis directly. This leaking could explain the idle problem you are having. To remove the plugs you can either drill them out carefully by using an 1/8" bit and not penetrating more than an 1/8'' below the bottom of the plug. Then you can pry them out with any small tool that will give leverage. The way I have done it and many others is punch them through the center and use something like a pick to pry them off. It is very simple. Below these you will find three small holes that will need to be cleaned thoroughly.

After you have inspected and cleaned them, place the new plugs dome side up, over the holes and give them a sharp tap with a 1/4'' socket extender. The convex shape of the plugs will flatten out and seal the hole. Recheck for leaks with some 2 stroke oil and compressed air. You can use a sealant on the outer edge of the plug once installed if it is still leaking. OMC sealant M was originally recommended however I?m pretty sure that is obsolete. I believe your dealer can provide you with a sealant called Gasiola that will work well in its place. Be sure to double check with your dealer to be certain. Another member here can probably verify it also.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

You may see some colored substance around the corners of those original plugs. That's an original sealant. Follow Single's instructions, but make sure you get some type of sealant around the edges before you hammer them in. He is correct-if they leak air or fuel, they can cause the problems you describe. The factory manuals do recommend GASOILA as that sealant.

PNW Driver

Seaman

Good stuff guys. Thanks again. I already replaced them once but it never occurred to me that I put them in upside down. The ones I pulled had no sealant on them. Ill report back after I put it all back together.

PNW Driver

Seaman

I had to put the boat on the back burner for a while. I had a couple very important family things happen. I took the carbs of again and replaced the core plugs. Three of them come out on the drill bit and the fourth hardly needed any persuading. I'm hoping this fixes it. Thanks.

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Also, here is what I do and seems to have been working well so far. After fresh install and while carb is clean with no oil or fuel in or on it, I take some of the little woman's fingernail polish and apply two coats at the edges of core/welch plug and carb housing. I have done this so far with good success. Good luck and post yer results.