76 OMC 120 sterndrive part broke

cr9c1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys. I dont even know what the heck this part is called. I can only describe it as a U-shaped piece of steel that is about 4-5 inches long that is held into the assembly the stern drive bolts to and it looks like it holds some sort of piston in. I attached a picture to show you where it is. This isn't my sterndrive and it looks like the piece is missing but it goes in the area with the red box. hopefully someone knows what its called. Im trying to find a replacement. Or figure out what it does or if its crucial.

Attachments

• sterndrive.jpg
    sterndrive.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 0

cr9c1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 76 OMC 120 sterndrive part broke

No, don't see it in that picture.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

all OMC sterndrive parts books are available online at shop.evinrude.com
can't believe you have 113 posts and no one has told you that yet.
You can look up the part name, part number, price and availability at your local Evinrude dealer in about 5 clicks.
or you can order it online there

oldsub86

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think that what he is talking about is the retainer doodad that is offered to hold the worm gear in once the snap ring ceases to be effective. Not an original part of the drive but an addon that was offered later as a fix.

Randy

cr9c1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks oldsub86. I think you're probably right.

I guess I'll have to take it off and have it welded or something since its cracked.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

Thanks Randy, sorry I missed the "76" , was thinking of the plate on the 78 and later units.
still might be at shop.evinrude under SD accessories....
that's where the muskrat guard and other odd bits are found

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer

Randy,
I remember that darn worm gear would come flying out when the outdrive was lowered too fast and allowed to "bump" the bottom. What a pain. The bracket (of which you speak) was indeed effective and saved a $40.00 (1970's money) worm gear. I must have replaced 6-8 of those darn things in the day.

cr9c1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It looks like when the outdrive is down, the round thing(I'm assuming its the worm gear) is popped out a little bit, but with it up, its in. So I'm not sure if thats normal, or might explain it cracking?

cr9c1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah I found it last night at some point in that very post. I'm going to try to get the broken one welded first and see how that goes.