75hp starflite and 80 johnson?

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade
1963 75 hp evinrude starflite (mine)electshift.a guy has a 1966 80hp johnson electshift.runs good.big question for me is are there any parts on the 80 that will work for me?shifter?lowerunit?elect box?

Willyclay

Captain
Re: 75hp starflite and 80 johnson?

According to my book, 1958-68 V-4's were nearly identical. Major change appeared in 1967 with electronic ignition. Prior to that, the early models had magnetos and later models had automotive-type distributor/points/coil/battery ignitions. The 75/80/85HP models share the 89.5c.i. powerhead with the 85 being rated at 5,000rpm. The 75&80's were rated at 4,500rpm and my guess is the horsepower difference is due to the pistons, porting or possibly the carb.

I ran 1962 Johnson 75 with electric-shift for many years. I've swapped a lot of parts, including entire powerheads, over the years for mine and others but never had a fittment problem. If it was me and the price is right, I would do it. Electric-shift gearcases and parts would be very nice to have just in case. Good luck!

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

price is right.it is a complete running motor also though it does not charge the battery according to the owner.yes, parts would be actually priceless ecpecially the lowerunit and the shift box ,mag, etc.though i must say if mine runs good in forth coming tests i will stay with the evinrude as i like the looks of it over the johnny for those years.im just waiting on my tiny tac and nice weather which both seem to be reluctant to show up.thanks.

Willyclay

Captain

i will stay with the evinrude as i like the looks of it over the johnny for those years.

Part numbers for internals are the same, just different paint on powerhead. You can keep the exterior all Evinrude with your motor cover, lower cowl and exhaust housing. Just sent you a PM. Keep us posted on what you finally decide to do.

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

going to pick up the 80 on sunday ,just the parts alone will be invaluable.will have to make room in my garage for another child ,lol.