75 Viking Sportsdeck rebuild info?

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer
Guys, a friend of a friend is asking if anyone has any information of where to go to look for information to rebuilding this boat. Can anybody help point him in the right direction?<br /><br />Here is his plea for help:<br /><br />This is a question that was emailed to me that I didn't have an answer for. If anyone has any advice for this guy, please post. Thanks.<br /><br />Dear PDB,<br />This fall I purchased what I would call one of the first deckboats ever made. Its a 1975 Viking, Sportdeck, its 22 ft. with a beam of 7ft. or 7.5 ft. She is powered by a 302 ci., V-8, ford motor with a holley carb., that OMC had installed when it was new. The hull is fiberglass tri-hull in the bow and at the midships she runs about flat to the stern. The deck looks much like a pontoon boat, flat with a railing around the outside, there is a bench seat on the bow, a molded bench on each side, with a seat on each side of the motor in the stern. The steering station is located in the bow, about 5 ft. back, with full instrumentation, windshield and seat. Quite unusual looking but a classic.<br /><br />I am interested in getting any information I can because she needs some work, new deck, transom, etc. If you could point me in the right direction that would be a great help. <br /><br />Thanks in advance for any help.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 75 Viking Sportsdeck rebuild info?

The Best thing you could do for this Fella is,<br />Email him the Address of This Board.........<br />Then He can join,+ Ask his Own Questions......

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I hope there are a whole lot of digital cameras received as Christmas gifts this year. Many a post would be enhanced by the use of one.

JoeW

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I agree with boomyal. I just recently bought my first digital camera specifically for posting pics on this site. Some very good deals can be had on e-bay right about now, especially for factory refurbished models. I just got a Toshiba 3.2 megapixel for $150. Works great. <br /><br />This post had me curious enough that I went looking and found a '79 Viking Sport Deck on iboats classified section. If the '75 mentioned here is similar, it's not a bad looking craft. <br /><br />My first impression was that of a very weird looking vessel design that probably first appeared in the early 70s or late 60s with the windsheild and instrument panel right at the very front of the bow. I'm not sure what they were called, but I alsays thought they were strange looking.

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer

Bondo, I took it upon myself to ask in his behalf, he did not ask me to do so. I have however advised him that I did so, and gave him a link to this site. He was just trying to help somebody out, to give him a starting point to search for the information that he needed. I never meant to start a pattern of being a middle man for a rebuild project. There is a wider varity of boat owners, rebuilders and Mechanics on this site, and I thought someone might know a good place to start. I don't even know, who the original person is, that bought the boat. It was not my intentions to put anybody out. <br /><br />Boomyal & Joe, I have purchased a Digital Camera, now I have to find a host Web Site, that I can use and figure out how the heck to post them. :rolleyes: <br /><br />Again, any suggestions appreciated! Sorry for any inconvenience.

Bondo

Staff member

It was not my intentions to put anybody out. Sorry for any inconvenience.
??????????????????????????????????????<br />Heck, I'm just trying to drum up More Members with More Questions.........<br /><br />Ya, I agree... I Need a camera... Showing off my projects, rather than Trying to Explain them would be Sweet....

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer

No problem, Bondo, we might just get more members out of it, which would be a good deal. ;) I know one is a pretty busy man with his hands full, just trying to help someone out, like we all are.<br /><br />Thanks for taking the time to Reply.

JasonB

Lieutenant

Regardless of the boat, much of the work is fairly straightforward like the transom. The 302 is a good motor, I have a '76 Mercruiser witha 302. Be sure he checks the stringers to make sure they are solid to work from. I also remommend the book "Runabout Renovation". It can be found at Amazon and other book stores. It is a great starting point.<br /><br />After that, get ready for the unique smell of Fiberglass dust and fresh resin. It's not difficult work, but it is time consuming. Tell him congrats on the new hobby ;)

CCrew

Chief Petty Officer

"After that, get ready for the unique smell of Fiberglass dust and fresh resin"<br /><br />And ready for itch, itch! :D :D Good dose of baby powder rubbed into your skin works wonders!<br /><br />I'd suggest tyvek coveralls and good dust masks at a minimum before you grind a thing. I'm still hearing jokes from the neighbors about the hazmat guy at my house in the boat!!<br /><br />-Roger.

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer

Laughing my butt off guys. Thanks guys, I'll let him know. <br /><br />You say the expected work is pretty much Straight forward, So I guess I suggest that book, Runabout Renavation, and see if that is the direction he was looking for. Thanks guys, and I'll suggest a Cheap Haz Mat suit :D

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

hey beast, heads up on the posting site, shutterfly.com lets you post a mess of pictures AND they dont limit you to what size pic you can post (like those fishin posts) AND ....<br /><br /> FIFTEEN FREE PICTURES AS A SIGN UP BONUS <br /><br />and its FREE!!!! just sign up like you did here at Iboats, the shipping is minimal for those free pics, buck and a half I think, ten cents a shot?<br /><br />they come out beautiful too, just like photographs, imagine that!<br /><br /> :p

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks CastawayRay, I'll consult with the wife, and check it out.

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer

CastawayRay, Wife asked if joining and storing pics is all Free, and your only charged if you want them to make Pictures. Is it a deal that you have commit to making those 15 free pics to join?