75 Johnson 25 hp clutch dog replacement

PW2

Commander
I'm replacing the clutch dog on my 25 hp, and I may be a bit clumsy at it, but I'm having trouble getting the little ball bearings and spring installed behind the clutch dog. Is there any secrets/tricks/special tools to accomplish this? Or do I just keep trying/fighting it?

PW2

Commander
Re: 75 Johnson 25 hp clutch dog replacement

No one have any helpful hints or suggestions here? Or am I just a clutz?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i've been lucky and never had to go into a lower unit. but will bring this to someones attention that might know.

reload

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm assuming you mean trying to get the clutch dog to slide over the detent balls while holding the spring compressed. Try putting a hose clamp on to hold the balls in while sliding the dog over them.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Are you sure we are talking about a 1975 25hp here? I only question it because I have never had any problem getting the detent into the dog on that type lower unit.

Put the spring and balls into the hole, mash them as hard as you can with your fingers while sliding the ears of the dog over them.

Oh-oh. That brings up another point: Do you have the correct dog? Does it have the inside ground for the balls to ramp into? I can certainly see where you would have trouble if you are trying to put an un-ground one in there.

PW2

Commander

Are you sure we are talking about a 1975 25hp here? I only question it because I have never had any problem getting the detent into the dog on that type lower unit.

Put the spring and balls into the hole, mash them as hard as you can with your fingers while sliding the ears of the dog over them.

Oh-oh. That brings up another point: Do you have the correct dog? Does it have the inside ground for the balls to ramp into? I can certainly see where you would have trouble if you are trying to put an un-ground one in there.

Hmmm...The new one I bought is a genuine BRP part, (from Ishopmarine.com) and it came with a note from the mfg saying it is "New and Improved" and to use the new cradle set supplied as opposed to the old one. There does appear to be a bit of a difference between one end of it and the other, and the entire circumference of the dog (on the inside, of course) seems to have a groove cut into it, as opposed to the old one which only had a short spot on either end grooved.

Which leads me to the next question. Is there a front and back to it? Namely should one end only face the fwd gear and the othe face the rev gear? The old one looked interchangeable, and from the wear pattern it looks like at some point in time was reversed. This new one appears to be slightly different one end to the other...

(Just a note): I did have a mild stroke a couple years back and I kind of like playing with fixing outboards for the therapeutic value--my right hand is not quite as dextrous or as strong as my left, but it is showing marked improvement. I offer that only as a lame excuse for some of my clumsiness on some tasks, especially those requiring a coordinated effort with two hands. I'll get it, though.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Well you've got me on that one. I don't know about the new and improved version. Most older ones had a scribe mark or punch marks at one end denoting the forward gear end.

Hey, glad you are recovering well and hang in there with the therapy. You will make it. I hope I didn't say unkind words. Didn't realize you have physical limitations. God knows, I have my own. Had both knees replaced and am SO much better now, but can't squat down. Amazing how much the little take-for-granted things are missed.

Bindernut

Seaman

I just did the dog in a 69 25hp Johnny which is identical to my 71 Evinrude 25hp (and also your 75).
The "new/improved" clutch dog & cradle refers to the cradle being thicker than the original and the dog has a wider groove for the fatter cradle to fit in. If your old dog/cradle is the old style, you can easily see the difference in thickness compared to the new one. If you use the old cradle in a new-style dog it'll have too much endplay and won't shift into gear solidly. That's why it comes as a matched set.

As for which end goes where...both ends are identical on the dog from what I measured. Shouldn't matter which end you face towards the forward gear.

As for getting the spring & balls compressed and getting the dog on the propshaft...
The new-style dog should have tapered undercuts on each end that help funnel the balls into the shaft for installation. I just hold them in place with a plier until I get the dog slid onto the shaft. My fingers are still pretty limber but I can understand you having trouble...I've gotta help my dad out with small stuff like this every now and then too as arthritis is catching up with him.

PW2

Commander

Thanks all.

I do see the scribe marks on the dog, and will face that toward the forward gear. All things being equal, might as well install it correctly as opposed to backwards. Too much time spent at real work to get at it the last couple of days, but I'll get it this weekend.

This is a "project" motor, as opposed to one I use regularly, and time is not a big issue.

Thanks again.