75 HP Starter, 1976, Prestolite

Randy W.

Seaman
While replacing the bendix, my starter (prestolite) came apart and I believe I have the 4 brushes out of place now. When I put back together, it has very little torque--like 1/2 power?? Are the brushes from each set of poles opposite of one another, if that makes any sense? The manuals make it appear that way. I also have two brush leads crossing one another. The first time I reassembled, I had a dead short-no smoke or smell though.
Any one been through this? Thanks!

tonycrespo

Seaman
Re: 75 HP Starter, 1976, Prestolite

it's alittle tricky to put starter back together while making sure the brushes are in place. Wires crossed is should not be a problem if the insulation on the 2 leads is good. The other brush leads are ground. Make sure that the screws that hold the grounded brushes are clean, clean, clean. It is very important that the connections are clean for proper starter operation. Hope this helps

Randy W.

Seaman
Re: 75 HP Starter, 1976, Prestolite

Thanks for the advice Tony---I'll clean it up and check connections. I may end up going with a new starter, this Prestolite is an oldie. Changing out brushes looks easier on the Arco and other models.