74 Merc 850 stator question

Flossyb20

Cadet
Does it matter which wire I hook up to the stator to pull the tach signal off of? What I'm getting at is should I be getting a pulse off both stator wires, or just one? I thought the stator grounded itself through it's mount to the block, and both wires should send a seperate pulse. Just wondering if the stator's bad
Thanks in advance

Laddies

Banned
Re: 74 Merc 850 stator question

Either side will work neither is a ground

Flossyb20

Cadet

So if I'm only getting a signal off of one, my stator is probably shot.

Laddies

Banned

Take a OHM meter with the wires disconnected and check the stator winding for countinuity yellow wire to yellow wire (some have a red trace on them) there should be should be a reading the check each end to ground it should be open. If that tests ok then one side of the rectifier is probably shorted out. If you need a test for it we can give it to you.

Flossyb20

Cadet

Stator checks out OK..whew, that would've been expensive. How do I check the rectifier? Just trying to get everything nailed down before I take her out. Just finished putting in new pistons and reeds, fuel pump, carb rebuild, and of course plugs and fresh gas. When I went to start it up, it took a while, which I expected, but once it was running, I couldn't get it to idle down w/o dying...could this be the problem?

Laddies

Banned

scan-4.jpg