74 135hp Vernatherm Question

spool

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi Guys,

Haven't run this motor in the water yet but I'm working through getting it ready for our summer down here (Australia)

When I bought this motor the previous owner told me it was running a little warm, I decided to inspect the entire motor and just eliminate any potential issues now, I've replaced the water pump, housing wearable parts, water seals etc.

I'll start of by stating that this motor (135483b) has a Pressure Release valve and Vernatherm, The old Vernatherm was locked all the way open and seized, meaning the valve never opens allowing water flow, The Pressure Relieft valve and vernatherm valve/spring are all in good working order and are not seized.

The owners manual does not specify part number for replacement and the best I can find on is #0384719 which does not specify its temperature, Given this is a serviceable part id like to source one locally so that I do not need to wait close to a month to receive it which is how long ordering from the states takes.

Are they any other compatible part numbers that will work in this instance?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Part number is 0384719. Sierra Marine number is 18-3560. (Do you have Sierra parts in Australia?)

You are slightly mistaken on how it works. The stuck vernatherm would hold the valve wide open, allowing full water flow with no temperature control. Under normal operation, when the vernatherm is closed, blocking water flow, the resulting pressure opens the relief valve, allowing water to return to the water pump for recirculation. This recirculation continues until water is warm enough to open the vernatherm valve.

spool

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Part number is 0384719. Sierra Marine number is 18-3560. (Do you have Sierra parts in Australia?)

You are slightly mistaken on how it works. The stuck vernatherm would hold the valve wide open, allowing full water flow with no temperature control. Under normal operation, when the vernatherm is closed, blocking water flow, the resulting pressure opens the relief valve, allowing water to return to the water pump for recirculation. This recirculation continues until water is warm enough to open the vernatherm valve.

the name rings a Bell, i'll see if I can track down the supplier, I did come across 0384719, is that the only part for the job?

I do understand how it works and the thermostat is actually seized and jammed way short of the valve, I tried boiling it and got no movement whatso ever, the actual valve is shut due to spring pressure (the vernatherm is not at full extension) , Not sure exactly how it happened but its very gunked up from salt water.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
The original factory parts listing shows 384719 is the correct vernatherm part number. It is still stocked by Bombardier in all their U.S. warehouses. You can verify the original exploded factory parts lists at this website: epc.brp.com

spool

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank you, worst case I might have to order it from the states and wait as it doesn't seem any local suppliers stock it.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
So your vernatherm is stuck in the closed position? That's possible, but I just assumed it was stuck in the open position as they usually are.

spool

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So your vernatherm is stuck in the closed position? That's possible, but I just assumed it was stuck in the open position as they usually are.

yep, that's right, managed to find a local sierra supplier today, should have one by Friday!