73 Norseman carb issue.

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi all.
I am currently working on a 1973 Norseman,Model# 40355d. I have it all back together and running but when priming the bulb and when actually running fuel gushes out of the aperture to port and slightly lower than the low speed needle.At first I thought maybe I had inadvertently put the float back in upside down,(not unknown) but after pulling it all apart again I found every thing OK. I'm going to have to do it again but I thought I'd get some input first.What am I missing here? Something left out? needle not seating properly? I'm open to any suggestion ,it's driving me nuts.Incidentally this motor was sold to me as a "parts motor",I had to free up the recoil start and get a new flywheel nut and carb kit and it runs like a top except for this leak. I already have a 1972 Norseman on my 15 footer but I think this one has the potential to be better.Like I said,any ideas welcome.
Geoff69a1.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: 73 Norseman carb issue.

Is the float floating on fuel? Cracked/ sodden looking?
If its past its time it will not float up high enough to shut off the valve

nwcove

Admiral

do the blow test on it.....ie, upside down you should not be able to blow into the fuel inlet, right side up you should be able to. if it passes that test, id set the float a bit lower so it closes the needle sooner .

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah,thanks Guys ,pretty much my thoughts I must have missed something somewhere.I'll tear it down again tonight and see what I come up with,bound to be something silly.
Wish I was where you are Bosunsmate,Bin along time since I was in Aukland.Looked at it on Google earth the other night,changed a bit since I was there(1963) .
Geoffwga1.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Yep Auckland is on the move, a lot of the current suburbs werent there in 1963 or the motorways, its doing most of the growth for the whole country. The Hauraki Gulf islands are keeping the same and are protected from growth so are still good for boating/fishing.
Luckily things here further north are pretty steady too.
Check the needle that seats to close the valve that its not worn too

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Problem solved.It was my own fault for being cheap.I didn.t change the cork gasket round the high speed jet and it had disintegrated.
Geoff69a1

nwcove

Admiral

great to hear geoff!! and a lesson learned about cutting corners to save a buck!!( you probably lost more $$ in fuel than the boss gasket cost you.