'73 Merc 1150 project has ign/fuel prob

bmbecker

Cadet
I have this 1973 Mercury 1150 Outboard that I have received as a project to put on my 28' pontoon boat. I have checked out everything that I know how to check out and seem to have covered all the bases. Just seem to be having a problem with this classic and confusing ingnition system. This motor will start up if I have my throttle opened up and my choke on and will sit and idle with the throttle opened up and purr like a kitten. When I pull it back to and idle, it seems like it will idle fine. It kind of spits a little bit but it will idle. If I manually push the throttle (Not the timing advance) with my thumb, the motor will speed up and run smoothly. While running in the condition that it is in now, once I get it warmed up, I pull the throttle back to idle and it will idle nicely long enough for me to try putting it in gear. As soon as i put it in gear, the motor dies. If I throttle it forwards quickly, it will stumble into gear and will tend to slowly pick up power and gain speed. Eventually, I will be able to open it up wideopen and it will seem to run good for a bit, but I cannot do a hole shot by any means, just doesnt run right. I guess, I am currious if anyone can help me figure out an easy way to make sure my idle stop screw is set up right, and the bolt for my throttle that is pushed by the twisting of the distributor housing as it advances, and then the throttle stop and timing advance screws. I have read my book on this over and over and over, and for some reason, I just do not understand what it is telling me I am supposed to do. As close as my motor can be to an idle, the No.1 cyl fires at about 2-4 deg BTDC and there just so happens to be a DARK solid line at that very spot. As I open it up and run it at the wide open throttle, my timing light is skipping along pretty fast but it seems to me that it shows someplace around 10 or 12 degrees BTDC. If anyone has any ideas for me to try, Im all ears. It will be a while before I can get back out and try it, I have to change out my water pump now too. At an idle, it blows out water OK but running wide open I dont think there is enough suction in the impeller cause it slows down to a trickle. That is the plan to fix that part, but if anyone has any ideas on the other, I would much appreciate the help.

Thanks,
bmbecker

CV16

Chief Petty Officer
Re: '73 Merc 1150 project has ign/fuel prob

Search for a write up on a link & sync. Then follow the dirrections.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

You need to perform the link and synch. Idle pickup timing is set at the moment the finger on the distributor touches the top carb throttle yoke. This event should occur at 4-6* BTDC. There is a brass collar on the midection of the distributor held with 2 5/16" stainless screws. This collar slides to make the adjustment.

Max spark advance needs to be 21* BTDC. Test this with a plugs 2-6 removed, taped together, wires installed and grounded to the block. Advance throttle to max, crank motor sith timing light on #1 and adjust max spark adv set screw above distributor to read 21* BTDC. Now adjust Throttle stop screw to allow max carb opening.

Idle speed set screw is set to allow a 850-950 RPM idle speed in the water.

usskydvr

Chief Petty Officer

You may want to consider spending the $$'s to get the Mercury Service Manual. It has the link & sync with pictures explaining it all along with tons of other good information.

bmbecker

Cadet

Thanks guys...appreciate it a bunch. I have a service manual, but it isnt a Mercury brand service manual. I think it is a Seloc Service Manual. It ranges from 65 to 91 inline and V6 models. Covers a wide area. The pictures that it shows dont really show my particular motor or parts either. I will research it a little more. I know I am close, I am going to fix the water pump today and then fire it up and try it again and see if I can get it timed out right. I know they are a monster to tame but these old Merc's are rough and tough. I cant wait to get it sinc'd up and running. Thanks again for your help.

By the way, "Chris1956", you had said to remove the plugs 2 thru 6. Then tape them together. Then you said install the wires and ground them. Im guessing you mean, put the plug wires on the bundle of plugs and ground them in a way that they will still spark...am I right?? I know that turning the motor over with out the coil being able to spark to a ground can be bad on a coil...or at least I have been told that.

Thanks again for your help!!!

usskydvr

Chief Petty Officer

You are correct in interpreting Chris1956's intent.